What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color Cast

Hi again, sorry if you minded about that I'm now starting to post in General photoshop section from new users area ;\ I think I'm intermediate now in ps :p

I'm unable to remove red color cast from this image, I tried auto color it almost does the job but I can't go any further even with sponge tool which also ruins the pic, Any Idea ?

Well, hue saturation can get you kind of close, but the rest of the image is SO blue as it is, all the rest of the colors just get totally washed out.

That's a difficult photo to repair Evil.
I had to take a sneaky path to get it to where it is in my example.
And although it's an improvement, my result isn't perfect.

Here's what i did:

Open the Channels palette, select the Green channel (select all), copy it, then click on the red channel and paste. I chose the green channel because it has a similar contrast to the red channel.

Now you have a photo with a majority of blue in it.

Add a new layer above this photo now, and simply paint back in the areas that need to be coloured. Yes, this means you manually paint the colour back in. Put this layer on Overlay mode and reduce the opacity (try 50% to start).

You can use the Levels filter to try and balance the image out a bit more. I wouldn't expect to get this to look like it might without the colour cast. But then again.... i'm not a photo expert, so i could be wrong. ;)

I played around with it a little bit.
Converted to CMYK and used those channels to mess around with.
Not knowing the origianal colors was a handicap.

Using the burntool, set on Midtones around 20% will help bring the color back to those washed out edges too.

replace parts of the read channel

I worked it big time :D and came up so-so.
Started with color curves mid-grey eyedropper.
Then the right and left sides of the red channel had to be replaced with the right and left side of the green channel.
I couldn't bring the sky back, :D so I replaced it all together...with a color found in the original sky.

Lasa

I was inspired by lasa's super example went at it by first using the gray (neutral) eyedropper from levels from slightly inside the overexposed area of red. That restored some of the color palette while still leaving the exposure areas blown out in the red channel. I then used Select > Color Range... to create a mask to select most of the rest of the blown out areas. I copied the green channel with that mask and pasted it in the red channel.

The sky was only vaguely palatable, so to speak. I followed lasa's example and just added a new one. A little judicious burning here and blurring there and there it was.

Once again great work welles and lasa , but lasa plz edit your posts and remove the slang words "hell and damn" you know this is holy pic of Madina. [doh]

Evil Nemesis said:
... you know this is holy pic of Madina. [doh]
I didn't even notice that...

Nice work both Welles and lasa. Both jobs are very well done! Even though the sky isn't quite right, I can tell that if more time was spent on it, these could be cleaned up VERY nicely.

Well OK, jonbalza, here's a bit better sky. This one was using Digital Elements Aurora plugin but I was working on this image originally in CS2 and Aurora needs an update to work there. As a result I just used a quick sky-esque gradient. Your comment prompted me to launch PS CS for a sky edit! ;)

Very nice!

Welles, I like the new sky it finishes it nicely.
Sorry about the slang...
Lasa

Welles, you have improved a lot the last few months. I see some good stuff coming out of your hands. Even your red color cast removal in the other thread (your 1st attempt) was in my opinion better than the other attempts of everybody else.

Keep up the good work :perfect:

My only critique on your pic is the tower in the far left corner... the looks like it could blend in a little better with the pic ;)

Back