What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

COLOR SETTINGS>>Spot DOt Gain ??

cjogo

Any hints on where to set the Spot Gain--seems to be default @ 20% ---also my Pc Gamma Gray seems to be set @ 2.2 ???

thanks cjogo

Erik

Guru
PC? But in the other thread (on cursors) you say you're on Mac?

cjogo

My neighbor is with Mac--not for me..only PC !!! I will note the system, I am relating to, in the future. Sorry for the confusion. Just noticed that most info states 1.8 gamma for PC and I wondered about the Dot gain settings,,,,I will continue to search here in the forums....

thanks again for your expertise

sPECtre

Guru
I'd say that you need to talk to the printshop where you will send the files... it will vary depending on the kind of paper, the press used, etc...

Erik

Guru
spot means in fact another greyscale print. The printer can of course use any colour that is needed, and mostly it will be from the Pantone range.
This is only useful to add colours that fall outside the CMYK gamma, and is often used for fiiling jobs. It cannot be used as an extra channel for CMYK. Spot colours can never be judged on the monitor or your printer: only the Pantone book itself can help here.
Dot gain is the compensation that is given for the fact that ink penetrates the paper and slightly grows as it is absorbed. So the black dots become slightly larger, and the small white openings in the dark greys become also smaller. As Pierre said, contact your offset printer for this. It has no influence on your home printwork. Only for offset.

Grey gamma 2.2 means simply that the 256 greys of the greyscale are adjusted for a PC display.
Your monitor always displays Red, Green and Blue. When the three values are equal, you get greys. So when you calibrate your monitor, you do this in RGB, not in greyscale, even if you *see* the greyscale ramp.
When, in Photoshop, you set to Mode>Greyscale, PS offers you the option to see these greys as on PC or as on Mac. This has nothing to do with the monitor calibration or gamma-setting itself, in fact: it is an inverse compensation. So you may want to leave it as it is.

All this, and much more can be found in Inside PS7 by Gary (Gare from the Inside Track forum) Bouton.

cjogo

Thanks again for all the guidance ..I will let the settings ly. And will look further--- for the book you suggested!!

cjogo

cjogo

I use all Hasselblad 2 1/4 cameras..All shot on film and then scanned on a Minolta Dimage...Next year I will go directly to Canon D1s..But for now I spend hours a day scanning 25 years of images.

G

Nice ones ;)
You might consider to post them in the show section instead, now they get lost in this thread.