What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour Replacement Tool

Dumbo

From what I've experienced over the last couple of days, this tool doesn't work in the same way that I, in my naivity, thought it did. Perhaps someone can explain, briefly, why it doesn't do what I thought it said on the can. I've tried trawling Google but haven't found an answer yet.
So I had, for instance, someone wrapped in a white sheet the colour of which I wanted to turn into dark blue. So I selected the CRT, selected a really dark blue colour and started "painting". The colour appeared as a really pale baby blue. Again I tried, as an experiment, a really dark brown colour: the effect, more of a parchment beige.

In the end I changed the colour by using curves, but how come the CRT won't act like I want it to do. Is it something to do with the luminosity of the base white or what?
Sorry, if it's an obvious question to many of you but in the tutorial I looked at in a book by Steve Caplin it seemed to work............ :sad:

hawkeye

Guru
Unfortunately applying color over white using that tool yields the result you describe. I never use it, there are much better methods IMO.

besmirched

Power User
I'm having troubles with learning the colour replacement tool as well. When I'm replacing the colour I get a halo type effect from the brush, I tried adjusting the brush properties but all the options appeared greyed out.

colour-replacement.jpg

Dumbo

Unfortunately applying color over white using that tool yields the result you describe. I never use it, there are much better methods IMO.

What would you recommend as "better methods"?
As I have said, I find the "curves" tool better but is there anything else I could consider?

ibclare

Queen Bee
IDK exactly what Hawkeye had in mind but I have never used the crt and have no interest in it. I make another layer above the selection, fill the selection with a color that will mix and set the blend mode. Or you can just use a hue/sat adjustment layer, check the colorize box. I prefer a color layer because for me it is more fun to play with blend modes and opacity, or make another layer with a different choice of colors.

Dumbo

Tkx guys............
Something else for to work on :) Still, it'll keep me off the streets for a while.............

Eln8han

The color replacement tool changes the color of an object, but unfortunately does not change it to your target color's brightness so you're still left with the brightness of the original object. I suppose you could use the color replacement tool then use a brightness adjustment tool of some sort, but ibclare's idea sounds best.