What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour Swatches

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

Is there a way of organizing the colours in a swatch to something other than the default.

You can delete, or add, but you can't drag them to new positions to arrange.

I'm creating some swatches of my own, but the order of the colours is not to my liking. Just can't figure out if they can be organised by Hue, Brightness etc, or moved around individually.

Sark

I haven't tried this out myself, but I guess that if you, with snapping to the grid as help, create a series of squares and fill in the sequence you fancy, and then resave, it might be achievable.

Hi Sark,

In Photoshop CS you can open the Preset Manager and drag the Swatch colors in any order you wish, add or load libraries, and eliminate colors from the currently loaded library, including the default. I forget which version of PS you are using. \:]

Eric

To create swatches you convert a document to indexed color, this assigns an index number to each color. This index number determines its position in the swatch, irrespective of its original position in the document. Not sure how the index numbers are assigned, but there seems to be no way of reordering the colors when saving the swatch.

Welles

I'm using V7 which has the preset manager. Not sure if it is as versitile as CS, but will give it a go tonight.

Thanks for the replies. They're much appreciated.

Sark

Ha! I just tried PS 7 and the Preset Manager will do exactly what you wish to accomplish, I believe. :perfect:

Back