What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colours are different

dermamu

So, I'm a complete noob in photoshop.
Ever since I've been drawing in PS I've been having the problem - the colours of my saved pictures were different from those opened projects. A quick google research showed that it's because the colour profile was not sRGB (which is a universal averaged colour space for all the devices as I take it).
Ok, but I'm having another one now. I have two laptops, and when I open the same project on the both the pics look completely different although it's the same project and the same settings and everything is the same.
I'm definitely missing out on a lot here, so what might be the problem?

When you say "everything is the same"
- are both displays calibrated the same
- are the settings for each display the same (ie resolution, brightness, color, etc.)
- do both of your laptops have the exact same graphics card/drivers

If the profile is embedded in the image you're displaying, the difference in how that profile is displayed depends on the above.
Sometimes even the same laptops by the same manufacturers can show difference. Is the color difference drastic or subtle? Is it cool vs. warm?

There are a number of variables - but check the above list and see where you're at.

- Jeff

@JeffK has a good list.

Note that not all applications are color managed and those may not display properly (e.g. not all OS viewers and web browsers are color managed or not set up properly to have color mangement working correctly.

So some overlap with @JeffK 's list

Make sure you developed your images in the sRGB space
The sRGB profile is embedded in the image (an option when saving files from Photoshop)
That when viewing the images you are viewing with Photoshop (that is always color managed)

As @JeffK indicated it is important the the monitors are calibrated & profiled (or they have a mode that puts them in sRGB which will get you close).

The problem you see is not uncommon at all so join you have joined the club.

Note that other applications and browsers can be color managed yet viewing in Photoshop is a good shortcut to determine where the problem lies.
Hope the additional information helps some.
John Wheeler

Back