What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completly new at drawing

C.Will.Tool

Hello everybody,

I would like to learn how to do some digital painting, but i have no background, what so ever, in drawing and painting in any form.

I have bought a couple of books on the subject but they all assume that the reader can draw a strait line, which i barely can.

Therefore I wanted to ask you if you had any beginner's exercises or methods I could follow to learn how to draw so it doesn't look like the work of a three years old.

I would be immensely grateful for any insight.

Paul

Former Member
Hello and welcome.
The main thing my friend is patience and practice, the two go hand in hand. Talents a bonus but hey everyone can learn new things at what ever level they are.
Youtube as lots of digital shop stuff to browse over and we here have lots of helpful people.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the house, C.Will.Tool.....

Our cats our masters at creating images with their bare claws. Even I can't match their talent..... lol....

I'm not great with a pencil or crayon.... but that didn't stop me from learning ....

All you need are your eyes.... draw what you see.... put your character into your drawing. Your character will determine the mood of your drawing. PRACTICE.... PRACTICE.... PRACTICE....

In time, you'll get the hang of it.

Cheers.....

webwize

Hi C.Will.Tool

I think one of the first things you will need to do is pick up a drawing tablet if you don't have one already, it's gonna be real challenging without one. Plenty of choice out there but Wacom is the best. Their entry level product is the Bamboo but have a look on Amazon and you will see lots of options. After that as mentioned it's just practice. I'm rubbish at drawing but slowly getting better - hit the local library and get books on drawing the human form, doesn't need to be ones for digital art - there will be plenty of exercises in these and just follow their advise but do it on the PC. Once confident start looking on you tube and you will find a wealth of hints and tips (and keep visiting photoshop guru...) Good luck and post up some results, everyone here is really nice and helpful so even if you think its rubbish they will be happy to help you along the way :)

webwize

If you are new then you have to take classes from some professional teachers it is the best way you should choose.

aiesha

YouTube website has alot of tutorials. Suggested words to search: Sketchbook Express Sketchbook Express Tutorial Sketchbook Pro Tutorial

Last edited: