What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contour lines in Photoshop?

archivedb

Hello, I've been using PSP so I'm a bit lost in PS...

I have a drawing, for example:

horse-drawing5.jpg

I put it as a background and want to make contours above, in PSP it was really easy - Pen Tool > Connect segments > Line width.

Done.

In PS I have no idea how to do it:

horsedrawing5.jpg

There is a Pen tool, but I'm unable to set width, when I choose Line Tool then it's drawing only arrows and not connecting segments -_- I already fixed the arrow ending, but don't know how to make a line with my width working like path pen?

(links not images, because I'm unable to put images before reaching 10 posts on this board).

Help! :) I'm using CS5.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You should be able to place an anchor and then drag the bar out, left click to place an anchor and hold the left mouse button down to drag out your bars to make curves...

ptex.jpg

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
You can post images before 10 posts, just not links.

I fixed your post.

archivedb

Gaussian, thanks. Don't know why get "no url before 10 posts message".

KrDezines, I was asking about changing line width, not drawing.

Anyways, here's the solution:

1. Click Pen Tool (P).
2. Using Tool Settings Bar above your image set it to Paths > Auto/Add delete (default settings I guess).
3. Make an anchor, connect it to other segment(s).
4. Right click somewhere on the tight line between anchors.
5. From the menu choose Stroke Path...
6. Take the Brush one from the list and PS will make a brush line just beneath your line(s).

IF THIS DOESN'T WORK AND DIDN'T FOR ME:

7. Try clicking small box button with circle inside of it below color picker on the left side. If still doesn't help then try to hold ALT when you click.

I hope it helps.