What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy and paste problem

pjkong

New guy here. Just got Photoshop recently and Im still learning the ropes. My problem is this. I resized an image. I then saved it as a psd. I made a selection of an item on this image and then went to paste it onto another psd image. But when I do it pastes it at the dimensionsthat the item was on the original presresized image and not the new one. Before the resize this item was 4 inches wide. The resized version was 5 1/2. Like I said when I copy and paste the resized 5 1/2 onto a new image its the original 4 inches This has happened a couple different times but all other times I have copied and pasted it was fine and everything pasted the size it was supposed to be. Im just wondering if Im missing something somewhere.

MrToM

Guru
It doesn't sound as if you really did 'resize' your image....it may appear so, but in reality you didn't.

I'm guessing you used the IMAGE > Image Size dialog to change the 'size'......and also by changing the 'resolution'.

If you really want to re-sample the image you need to make sure that the re-sample option is checked when you do.

The 'resolution' of a digital image is nothing more than data written to the header of the image....it has no bearing on the image size whatsoever.....but, having said that it IS a factor used when re-sampling.

You mention image size in inches....this is not the image dimensions...its the PRINT dimensions.
In other words, with the amount of pixels in your image, and at the resolution set by you, you would (if you printed it out on paper) get a printed image of those dimensions.

With 're-sample' turned OFF you can use the 'resolution' setting to denote the size of PRINT you will get.
With 're-sample' turned ON you will re-sample the image (add or remove pixels) to or from the image which will indeed re-size it.

In a nut-shell, if the image you are working on is only ever going to be viewed on a digital device then ignore any 'linear' measurement.....digital images are defined by their pixel dimensions....which, as a side note, is not the images' resolution.

My guess would be that when you 're-sized' your image 're-sample' was unchecked, and the measurements your are reading are the PRINT size.

Its an easy mistake to make as that dialog is not very informative as to just what is going on.

Regards.
MrToM.

pjkong

My intention is to print, which is why Im resizing them. They are paper models that were too small. Will turning resample on effect the print size? I just went and checked my settings and I beleive that resampling WAS turned on. The box is checked. Ive never unchecked it because I want aware of this untill now. Also I went back and checked the dimensions on everything. The pasted image was NOT the size of the original, it was actually even smaller. Sorry that I wasnt more thorough in my original post. I threw it up late before I went to bed.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
This is complex at best so it would be best if you could post a screen shot of the 'Image Size' dialog and state what PRINT size you are trying to achieve, the original dimensions of the image and if you have a minimum resolution requirement.

So....

Screenshot of Image Size dialog.
Original dimensions of image...in PIXELS.
Final print size....in INCHES.
Resolution.....in PPI.

If I know those its pretty simple to at least set your document set up properly....then anything you do with it should be right.....ie, copying.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

pjkong

I'll do all of that but now Im having a different problem where a selection I copy and paste is actually bigger!

pjkong

2.PNG3pixels.PNG5.PNG6pixels.PNG The first two Image size dialogs are for the image Im copying from. In inches and pizels. The 3rd and 4th are for the image Im pasting to. In inches and pixels. Im assuming the print size will be whats displayed in the dialog box that shows inches. The boxes also show the pixel resolution. And both of these are psd.

pjkong

and I believe I just figured it out. resolution has to be the same. Ive done some experimenting and that seems to work