What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corel Knockout

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

I'm thinking of purchasing Corel Knockout. I know there are a few users who post on these boards so hopefullyI can get some advice.

I've heard that version 2 can only be installed as a plug-in, whereas version 1 was stand alone.

I've read that the advantage of the stand alone version is that it doesn't affect memory in the same way the plug-in would when installed in Photoshop.

Just wondered whever there is a huge difference in actual extracting performance between the versions, and whever stand alone versus plug-in is relevent.

Thanks

Sark

Sark,

I have Knockout 2 and use it occasionally when hair or items of great transparency are involved but mostly stick with PS native tools. That being said, Knockout 2 is a significant improvement over v. 1. 99 levels of undos, CMYK support, revert, Touchup tools (Brush and Eraser) were new. It is an advanced product.

Version 2 does operate only as a plugin but I can't comment on memory issues in Windows. It's a non issue in Mac OS X. I believe Knockout 2 is such an advance that v.1 shouldn't even be considered.

If we're lucky Lee will find this thread and reply. He is really good with the tools and a Windows user to boot so his answer will be a bit more relevant.

Welles, thanks.

If the diiference is significant, as you say, I may as well go ahead and buy version 2.

I guess if you have extractions to perform, these can always be performed first in PS, before closing and reopening PS to carry out editing.

I think it was Foster Coburn on a CorelDraw site who suggested Corel got it wrong by changing to plug-in only. This was due to memory issues. I assume plug-ins use history like any other tool in PS, so this would eat into the history levels, although snap shots should solve that one.

Will go ahead and purchase v2

Thanks again

Sark

Sark.
As you've already made up your mind to get V.2 I'll spare you the sales pitch. ;) You will love KO2. That's all I use.

Thanks Lee.

There's very little difference in price, so v2 seems the best option. Just wondered about the plug-in issue, which thinking about it, can't be that big a deal.

Thanks again.

Sark

I've only used mine as a plug-in in PS, Sark, so can't add any opinions on the difference between the two versions. Bottom line is you'll love it.

Back