What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correcting an underexposed photo

wbiss

Guru
Maybe this has already been posted and, if so, I apologize, but I found this to be a really "fast and dirty" method to correct a badly underexposed photo.

1. Create a new layer above the photo
2. Fill with 50% grey
3. Set blend mode to "color dodge"

Amazing results! [stuned]

cool will give that one a go..... got plenty of "those" pics he he he
sfm

There are many other ways to correct underexposed pics(after all, thats what Photoshop was originally programmed for). I would start by learning levels, and then move on to a more advanced and powerful function, curves. The method described above is a nice quick fix :perfect: , but it bumps up everything, highlights, midtones, and shadows. (the latter is not usually acceptable). Have fun 8}

Just wanna add to Wendy's method...

If/when resources becomes an issue, you can achieve the same results without adding file size to your document.

Adding new normal layers will increase the doc's file size. Instead, just add a Levels Adjustment layer, and set it to Linear Dodge; same as Wendy's.

Adjustment layers don't add file size to a document. ;) :B

..... sssooo, what is a quick fix when half the image (person) is under exposed?? :)

thanks tranquil222 ... a mask .... and?? :D :D

Ian, you'll need to make a copy of the original, add a layer mask to this copy and the adjustment layers you need to make the necessary corrections. Mask out those areas that don't need these adjustments. :)

ooooh a layer mask.

I though tranq meant "a mask... to cover the one half of your face that's seeing the underexposed side of the image. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: same same Mark ha ha ha
Phantom of the opera sprung to mind ;\
sfm

Mark: Adding new normal layers will increase the doc's file size. Instead, just add a Levels Adjustment layer, and set it to Linear Dodge; same as Wendy's.
B7 Totally cool Mark! Never knew this one before but I just tested it and the results are "identical"! :perfect:

namvet:..... sssooo, what is a quick fix when half the image (person) is under exposed??
Forget the 'mask' Ian... a brown paper bag just might do the trick though! [:I :p

Wendy wrote:
Forget the 'mask' Ian... a brown paper bag just might do the trick though!
... brown paper bag .... at last a method I can understand .... knew if I waited long enough someone would come down to my level :rofl: :rofl:

Namvet

knew if I waited long enough someone would come down to my level

... but rest assured, we won't be staying there long :p

:shocked: :shocked: .. what!! ... no one wants to sit at the back of the class with me? :( :( :(|

namvet: ... brown paper bag .... at last a method I can understand .... knew if I waited long enough someone would come down to my level
[confused] I guess that I'm the only one around here with the Beta PS8???

.... ya just got to love them folks at Photoshop ... catering to the 'back of the class' market like that :rofl: :rofl: .... good one Wendy (wbiss) ..... so now all I have to do is wait for PS8 b4 I can sort out this masks, adjustment layers thing ..... :(

Thanks for sharing Wendy,

I tried that. It works in some images, but for some other images, after applying the color dodge, I adjust the percentage of the capacity (I used 43%) and the image is improved.

Nice tips!!

Diella

Oh yes, Diella... it's going to be very much dependent of the degree of underexposure! Using your slider on the opacity level is a "must"! ;)

Here's another quick method

Duplicate layer and set mode to Screen then adjust opacity to suit. For and under exposed photo you can duplicate layer, set mode to multiply the opacity to suit.

Back