What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create Radial gradient background without circles (Banding).

lou117

Hi,

I can create a background using radial gradient but it shows circles that are rather visible.
The circles are radiating from the center out .
I turned on dither and that helps a lot.
I played with angle and scale but it still show those circles.

Is it possible to smooth it out so there are no circles showing?
Thank you .

lou117

thanks i didn't know the correct term-bending. The 16 bit and Gaussian blur fixes it little bit. I do 1920x1080 300dpi .
But i am noticing that a lot of backgrounds in youtube videos have it.
It seems like it is a standard and people aren't bothered with it that much .

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi lou117
Banding can be exasperated by a number of things
1) Worst is being in 8 bit mode
2) If you are using a monitor that is not at least truly 8 bit
3) If you are using Adobe RGB or even worst ProPhoto RGB in 8 bit mode
4) #3 especially for gradients in color
5) With #3 and #4 depending on the rendering modes being used (perceptual vs relative colorimetric)
6) Changing between RGB color spaces and/or moving from 16 bit mode to 8 bit mode and not having the "Use Dither" option checked under Edit > Color Settings
7) Any of the above not using a calibrated and profiled monitor and/or having a badly profiled monitor (can create bands just by itself)

Hard to give more advice without a specific file shared with the settings you used. If you want more specific inputs, you could share a simple PSD file and others can give it a look. Just an optional suggestion
John Wheeler