What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a 'Adjustable Frame'

Blitzer

What I'm trying to do is create a 'adjustable frame', a top layer that acts just like a picture frame would for an actual picture. I'd like to be able to re-size this frame so I don't have to keep re-cropping/filling the areas every time I make a change. I've tried looking into how to accomplish this, but between layer masks, vector masks, shapes, shape masks, paths, and clipping masks, I'm so confused as to what to do at this point.

example.jpg

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you for reading.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1

MrToM

Guru
Sory, but I've read this several times now and still can't make head nor tail of it.

...What I'm trying to do is create a 'adjustable frame'...
...Its 'an' adjustable frame but ok....with you so far...

...a top layer that acts just like a picture frame would for an actual picture...
...so...nailed to the wall then?

...I'd like to be able to re-size this frame so I don't have to keep re-cropping/filling the areas every time I make a change...
Right....most of this needs clarification...re-size in what way? What is 're-cropping' and to what exactly are you doing it to?

'Filling'...? Filling what?

What are these 'changes'...?

...I've tried looking into how to accomplish this, but between layer masks, vector masks, shapes, shape masks, paths, and clipping masks, I'm so confused as to what to do at this point...
I'm confused too.

I can kind of, sort of, read between the lines and almost decipher what you need but I'm struggling to comprehend what it is you have, what you are doing to it and why you feel the need for something as complex as 'adjustable'.

From the image it 'looks' like you just need a 'Stroke' around the image which is not exactly difficult to do and yet it seems far from anything you describe.

Can you be a little more descriptive in what it is you have, what you need to do and why adding a 'Stroke' wouldn't do exactly what you want.

Sorry....it may be a clear as day to you, but it's as clear as mud to me.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Use your Rectangle Tool to create a rectangle.
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.34.32 PM.png

Open a layer style and add a Red colored stroke (inside)
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.34.47 PM.png

You can then add an image, clip it to the rectangle.
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.35.00 PM.png

Image not fitting?
Press command + T to enter free transform and adjust.
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.35.38 PM.png

Not satisfied with a plain old rectangle?
Use the Direct Selection Tool and alter the path to any shape you desire!
The stroke will always be on the path.
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.37.40 PM.png