What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a Dr Dre Album cover technique

D-BLOCK

Hello all,

Long time since I have been on here so thanks for having me.

I was hoping you could help me with a technique I would like to use on a photograph so I can make a painting of it.

1523903177548.png

How do I create the above nice black, white and grey image of a person?

I would like to use it on this picture of my favourite fighter Dan Hederson and make a picture of it

1523903257754.png

Any help or advice would be amazing, im going to paint it and mount it on my wall of my first house.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Dylan

Chsavage

I was out to attempt the same thing in October of last year. I found that the best way to create the effect you're looking for is by using the pen-tool in photoshop, or illustrator. (how to create vector art with the pen tool in photoshop) <that's a good search query for tutorials. You're basically just using the pen to turn the person into shapes. In the Dre album it looks like not all that many anchor points for the pen were used either, and just varying greyscale colors were used to create the depth of shading in the face.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

First, I would locate a much higher resolution image of the fighters than you have posted here.

Open the image in Ps.
Duplicate it, turn off the original.
Go to FILTER > FILTER GALLERY > choose CUTOUT..........then adjust to your liking.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 1.42.32 PM.png