What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a mask of an object?

jonesanthony

Hi,

Im really struggling to mask this image to create a white outline of it, with transparent background, so i can impose the sillouhette of the bike over a colourful background.

you can view the image im trying to do this with at: www jonesanthony dot co dot uk/photoshop/mountain%20bike.jpg

Im struggling when it comes to removing the background between the spokes......

Is anyone able to offer any assistance......?

Thanks
Ant

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi,

Im really struggling to mask this image to create a white outline of it, with transparent background, so i can impose the sillouhette of the bike over a colourful background.

you can view the image im trying to do this with at: www jonesanthony dot co dot uk/photoshop/mountain%20bike.jpg

Im struggling when it comes to removing the background between the spokes......

Is anyone able to offer any assistance......?

Thanks
Ant

Upload your image to the forum. It's allowable.

jonesanthony

Thanks for your reply....it wont let me post an image to the forum yet as i only have two posts....this will soon change though! :D hold on and ill try to upload...

jonesanthony

mountain%20bike.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Ahhhh.. finally loaded.

What I would do is convert this jpg into a greyscale image so I can isolate the cycle into a layer. This is done by CTRL+click grayscale Channel, CTRL+I to invert the selection (selecting the cycle) , create new layer , fill selection with black. Convert back to RGB.... note - don't flatten when prompt...

There's your cycle on a layer....

View attachment 3803

jonesanthony

dv8_fx!

Thanks for the speedy reply. You going to smile when you read this.....i have only dabbled in photshop before....the channels are on the right of the layers tab.

You say hold CTRL then clicking the greyscale channel (where do i find the greyscale channel?)

Im sorry i know! Im slightly dimb when it comes to photoshop....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Didn't see your post.... lol.... It's actually one of the palletes but in case its not showing..... MENU > WINDOW > CHANNELS....

View attachment 3804

I've got PS7 loaded at the moment. It should be there in CS. CTRL+click grayscale icon....

But remember you have to convert the RGB image to grayscale first for this to work.... MENU > IMAGE > MODE > Grayscale

jonesanthony

Sorry, sorry sorry! Im really embaressed now.....

Ive tried fiddling with your above instructions but there not clicking with me...

Can you simply the steps....?

What tools am i using on the left handside? What buttons am i excactly clicking on.....

jonesanthony

Right then....this is definately not demonhttp://jonesanthony.co.uk/photoshop/1.pngstrating any competancy in photoshop on my part.....

- Loaded image in photoshop
- IMAGE > MODE > Grayscale
- CTRL + Clicked on Gray Channel (1.png)
1.png

- CTRL + I - Invert (2.png)
2.png

- What method do i use to create new layer?

I have tried fiddling and all my attempts only manage to incoprorate some of the bikes spokes.....

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 1

brandon skyy

what do you guys use for taking snapshots? i have something for my browser but nothing for my desktop.

jonesanthony

good old alt gr +print screen - for the window and alt + print screen

then simple cropping in paint if needed.....