What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating an image that "when printed" wraps a cone?

Wert Kilp

Hi.

I'm brand spanking new to this forum so a big hello. I must say firstly... Sorry if this thread presents itself in the wrong location, I won't be offended if it's moved as that would be my error, to say such I appreciate the thread being relocated if need be.
Thanks.

Alright here we go... And I'm not the best with terminology?

What I'm trying to do is create an image that once printed on say an a4 sheet can be wrapped in a cone and the image meets either edge where they meet once the cone is wrapped? To make it interesting the cone is larger at on end and narrower at the other?

Here's what I'm doing?...
I've wrapped an a4 sheet of paper around my forearm, I've trimmed off the overlay and scanned the remaining paper shape. Now I want to create a pattern that when applied creates a seemlessly image around my forearm.

For the record I'm doing this to create and apply a cool stencil to be inked on my forearm.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I might go about this? Also how to navigate the border left on the printed page? Because such border will become a problem as I want the print to be seemlessly?

Much appreciate any ideas and feedback?

Thanks

Wert Kilp.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I know you said you have an existing template that you made, but you can alo try calculating the flat cone template. Here is a great online Flat Cone Template Calculator.

Next you would then add the image to the template and use Free Transform to to adjust the image so it looks correct when its shaped into the cone.

Create template
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 12.06.31 AM.png

Add image and Free Transform
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 12.06.11 AM.png

Print
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 12.07.08 AM.png

Pattern
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 12.25.20 AM.png

Last edited:

Wert Kilp

Hey thanks Iamsam! That's a neat trick well worth knowing.

I'm sort of stuck because I was hoping there was some way I could have the edges either side somehow meet in photoshop so I can see how the image meets at the join in order to make the image seamless? Don't know if that makes any sense but being able to create a seamless image is my goal here and visually being able to make the necisary adjustments to the image accurately where it joins would be a superior advantage while attempting to print a seamless cone image.

The only thing I can think of is to make a canvas 3x the size of the cone template then put the template I'm using in the middle, apply the image (in this case a pattern kind of image) to the template then copy and paste a copy template either side of the center template, doing this would allow me to see how the pattern meets to make sure it's a seamless continuum. But, doing it this way means I can't adjust the center in real time to make necisary adjustments? I'll be forever cutting and pasting and guessing?

Is there any other options or ideas?

Thanks again!!

Wert.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sort of stuck because I was hoping there was some way I could have the edges either side somehow meet in photoshop so I can see how the image meets at the join in order to make the image seamless? Don't know if that makes any sense but being able to create a seamless image is my goal here and visually being able to make the necisary adjustments to the image accurately where it joins would be a superior advantage while attempting to print a seamless cone image.
If your looking for a 3D representation of your cone, Photoshop may not be able to easily portray that. While I have some experience with Photoshop's 3D engine, I think that Eggy might be a better person to explain whether or not this can be done in Ps.

The only thing I can think of is to make a canvas 3x the size of the cone template then put the template I'm using in the middle, apply the image (in this case a pattern kind of image) to the template then copy and paste a copy template either side of the center template, doing this would allow me to see how the pattern meets to make sure it's a seamless continuum. But, doing it this way means I can't adjust the center in real time to make necisary adjustments? I'll be forever cutting and pasting and guessing?
I don't see the need for doing it this way. If you create some type of grid pattern on the cone template, you should be able to tell where the edges of the image will meet.

Quick example:
Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.30.51 PM.png

It might help if we could see the image your wanting to place on the template.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Do you have any notion of PS 3D or another 3D program?
To create a template you'll need two circumferences, the small part (I suppose just above the wrist and the second one just below the elbow.
As Sam already asked, is it a pattern or an image you want to wrap around your forearm?

Wert Kilp

Cheers Eggy that is user friendly and it will use it. The image is a pattern that has lots of variation. I wanted the template to work on as I would be creating the image real time and customising it to fit the template and meet seamlessly at the join. So I can't give you guys anything to work with unfortunately as I imagine if it were a proper pattern one of you guys would have made it up for me in no time at all?

Thanks for your suggestions guys some valuable info here and with what I now have to work with I will make something work! Not neccisarily the outcome I expected but I'm closer to achieving my goal now than I was prior to commencing this thread.

Cheers.

Wert.