What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating image like this

mallen

I'm trying to creat this effect. The best example I could find is the Windows Media player. Notice the beveled areas. They are not square with sharp corners or rectangular in shape. They are wavy. How is this done?

Well, I'm not sure how Windows did it, but there is no shape you can't create in PhotoShop simply by using the pen tool. I kinda (sloppily) traced your image with the pen tool, saved it as a selection and filled it with a gradient. Anothe option would ve to create it in a vector program like Illustrator and import it into Photoshop for editing.

Bevel_experiment.jpg

When you click on the gradient in the toolbar of the gradient tool, the Gradient editor dialog opens.
You can add colour stops when you click below the gradient, and by double clicking on them, you can set any colour you like. Then you drag them to the shape you want, and click ok (you may want to save the gradient).
Next you select a linear gradeint and drag vertically from bottom to top (in this example that is) to get this effect. With a little tweaking you can create nearly any shape you want.

As the gradient reacts to your fore-and background colours, you can set these, or tweak afterwards (when in RGB) with the ColorBalance tool.
Or paint on a new layer set to Color blend more. etc etc...

BTW: I applied a light Gaussian Blure (Filters>Blur>GB) to smoothen a bit.

The second example was done with the same gradient inside a circular selection, then inverting the selection (Selection>Invert or Ctrl/Shift+I) and applying the gradient from the center beyond the range of the first circle. Also a bit of GaussianBlurring.

Back