What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating something out of nothing

smugsy1122

I have been asked to assist my kid's high school with a Photoshop task. And I did not realize what I was getting into when I was asked. I usually just do portrait photography and use Photoshop for those types of edits and cleaning.

They are printing out a 70' x 52' canvas containing an image of a tree in a field. (Similar attached) The request is to have the tree occupy the top 12' of canvas and the grass to fill out the remaining 40'. Doing all of the math, this basically means I need a 20" x 40" canvas of which the image only occupies the top 20" x 10". So I need to fabricate another 30" of grass. This needs to remain high resolution and sharp since it will be printed on such a large scale.

Can anyone give me advice or point me tutorials on how to accomplish this? I know it is not a simple pattern of clone the grass line, since the tree shadow needs to be realistic.

I'd appreciate all help.

images.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Smugsy
I have some confusion about the project specs that need to be clarified to make sure I (and maybe other forum members) understand exactly what you want.
In standard photoshop description we have Width x Height or based on what you said 70 feet wide x 52 feet high (that is a massive picture).
That is a ratio of 1.38 : 1

However, the final project you mention (scaled I assume) is 20 inches wide x 40 inches high which is a ratio of 1 : 0.5

So something is completely off in how you initial describe the aspect ratio as if height and width are swapped possible and very confusing to me.

Also, if the initial number is correct, the tree portion would need to be 72 feet wide x 12 feet high. That is a ratio of 6 : 1 and the starting image you have is a ratio of 2.15 : 1
That starting image is no where close to the needed starting aspect ratio of 6 : 1 which is an issue as well.

The type of help in filling has a lot to do with how much is need to fill relative to the starting image as having realistc look grass has to do with the perspective involved in the image. It may also have to do with how the final image is being viewed. Hard to visually a 5 story high image yet if it is laid down on a field that is a different matter and how if is viewed by people would be totally different if it were standing up or laying down.

Of course, all this confusion could just be me yet thought it would be better to put it out there if others are confused too.
Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

smugsy1122

Thank you John. My bad that I messed up the numbers. Math is by far my worst subject.

This is a canvas floor used for a high school performance group, I portion of the canvas on the floor is 70' wide x 45' high and the last 12' with the tree on it will be attached to arches so it serves as a backdrop for the performance. So, yes, the tree will be 70' wide x 12' high.
95% of the grass will covering an auditorium floor so the spectator's viewpoint will be from bleachers.

thebestcpu

Guru
OK, so based on what you said, if the included image was used at the starting point and it was centered at the top, you would want all of the rest of the picture filed in with grass to the bottom and skies and hills to the left and right. This template below keep the top 12 units for the tree and the lower 40 units for grass and total unit width is 70.
If this is correct, you need not just the grass yet something to fill in to the left and right of the tree as well.
Is this correct?

So my question is the example image just an example and any similar image can be used? It may give forum members a lot of flexibility for other options if the starting image can be different.
Also, do you know the actual resolution need for printing?
The good news is that with the lower 40 units being viewed from the stands, you will already have a diminising size perspective for the grass with the grass all printed the same size
Just trying to narrow in on your actual requirements.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 3.29.02 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Below is an example where I took a free image online with a lone tree in the distance with good resolution, placed it in the upper 12 units and filled in the grass below with content aware fill. A lot more could be done to make the grass even more natural yet wanted to see if this for which you are looking. The image is 2000 px wide yet also included a dropbox version that is over 8000 pixels wide an max jpeg quality yet is about 59M in file size.
Hope this gives you an idea on approach that could be done with relatively low effort. Starting from an image that barely covers just part of the upper 12 units is quite a bit harder.
John Wheeler

Here is the dropbox link followed by the smaller pixel image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxjd21o51xjjspr/hill-421569-8000plus-pixesl-wide.jpg?dl=0

hill-421569-2000px-wide.jpg

smugsy1122

Thank you so much for your help. I raised the issue with the original image (the ratio discrepancy) with the director and he is going to rethink it. But, the image above from the bestcpu might work perfectly. I'll share it with him.

smugsy1122

Thank you both. The above picture has been approved by the director. I would appreciate if anyone can help with advice on how to add clouds and sun in. The sun would be shining through the trees.

It amazes me that photography is no longer just about the camera, but about the complicated and amazing software. I appreciate everyone's help so much.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi smugsy
Any forum member that wants to take the provided image and proceed with either suggestions for you or adding edits to help you is fine with me. I suggest they use the dropbox link image as that is much higher resolution as a starting point.

A couple thoughts though. There seems to be good communication between you and the director and what you have in mind yet if a third person in the loop it may make for more iterations to get to what both you and your director desire (could be complicated).

There is a site with many free images named pixabay.com (most are free and a few are marked Shutterstock which cost money). Just put in the parameters of interest and wide variety of images will be made available. That is where I found the lone tree on a hill btw.

One approach would be to make the blue sky transparent and place another background image to totally replace the sky and show through the branches of the tree. When this is done, you should note that the grassy hill and the tree already is illuminated with the sun place in the far upper left of the image (note shadow of the tree). So modifying the existing image may need quite a bit of work to change the lighting to look correct as well as appropriate change in shadows as well as the grass on the hill could be in total shadow (darker) if the sun is behind the tree. So it is not clear to me how realistic all the factors need to be for you final product.

Another approach is to find an image with the desired tree and sunset of the needed width and add more foreground. This may be less overall work to achieve yet may be more work in an approval process between you and the director.

So if you are up to one of the two approaches above then those are the paths I would suggest. If you are looking for someone to jump in and provide a completed job for you, it might be best to repost on the forums topics for free requests or the one for paid requests (usually pretty low cost). That way would be more clear if you just want suggestions on approach or more hands on help.

Best wishes on your project and there are many forum members that may be able to help.
John Wheeler