What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating symetrical GRIDS

JallaBalla [EO]

I have a picture which I wanna create grids over.
Is there a simple way to create grids in PS 7 ?

Example of grids:
m13_Airbase_jpg.jpg

Now this pix already has grids but I wanna learn how its made.

The easiest way is to make a pattern.

Figure out what the size of one square should be.
Open a new document (document size=square size) with a transparent background
menu: select/all (CTRL+A)
menu: edit/stroke
Select width=1, color=black, location=inside.
Click OK
Menu: Edit/Define Pattern
Name pattern and click OK
Done

Go to the document that needs this pattern
Create a new layer and fill it with this pattern.
Use the opacity slider or add a clipping layer to give the black lines a new color.

If you want to make a 1 pixel grid instead of two pixels, then you have to make a gradient that looks like this:

A smart man once said to me: "Everything you know how to do is simple".
Now I also know how easy this was...
Thank you, matey!

JallaBalla, I removed some steps in my first post to make it even less difficult :)

I think you can remove the CTRL A (mark all) thingy too.... No need to mark it all when you only got one layer. :perfect:

But hey! Great! :)

JallaBalla [EO] said:
I think you can remove the CTRL A (mark all) thingy too.... No need to mark it all when you only got one layer.
That is incorrect. You need the CTRL+A to select all, otherwise the stroke command won't work ;)

Ups.... I had the layer unlocked. [honesty]
Then I didn't need to....

Nice simple technique, Gauss! :perfect:

JallaBalla [EO] said:
Ups.... I had the layer unlocked. [honesty]
Then I didn't need to....
That's true in the old example in which I used a white background.

If you create a new document with a transparent background like in my edited post, then you don't need to unlock the layer, since it's already unlocked. The only thing that you need is the CTRL+A when you start with a transparent background, otherwise you will get the message "could not stroke the layer because there is nothing to stroke".

Back