What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating template for curved art

CARVINGARTIST

Hello, I am pretty new to photoshop and am not sure if this is even possible. I create custom glass/wood etchings on flat surfaces. I want to be able to offer designs on curved objects - such as a wine glass. Currently I create a stencil in photoshop, size appropriately, print, transfer to my flat object and I am good to go.

However, I want to be able to print a stencil that would fit onto a specific curved surface. I can find lots of tutorials on how to use the warp tool to bend the image to a premade generic template of a curved object but haven't had any luck on figuring out how to make the template myself.

In short, I want to know how do I (or even can I) measure and build a template of a physical object in photoshop so that I can warp my stencil to the exact size of my real life object?

Hello and welcome.

Can you provide and example of a "curved object/surface"?

Yeah I’m hoping to create stencils that would be able to apply an image to a wine glass, tumbler, or bottle.

Yeah I’m hoping to create stencils that would be able to apply an image to a wine glass, tumbler, or bottle.
Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but a stencil for a curved surface is the same as for a stencil for a flat surface. Create a stencil in photoshop, size appropriately, print, transfer to the curved object and you're good to go.

Unfortunately it’s not quite that simple. When transferring to a curved object you have to take into account the curve otherwise your image will be distorted. So basically I want to know how to make a template like this one for a to go coffee cup http://sledguide.info/tedsgn/ but using measurements from a real life object. But I don’t know how to measure it to get an accurate curve.

Unfortunately it’s not quite that simple. When transferring to a curved object you have to take into account the curve otherwise your image will be distorted.
Again, I may not be understanding your problem. Please explain why you think there would be distortion. Show example if possible.

Back