What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS won't install :(

scorpion

when i go to install PS CS 8.0 it says i need windows 200 SP3 but i am running ME .... i know ppl with XP and ME who have it ...

any ideas?

Just wanted to drop this little piece of advice: If you have the greenbacks to afford Photoshop 8 then it should only be a drop in the bucket to upgrade to Windows XP.

Installation problems are far few and in-between with XP.

thats not really a solution since XP sucks mate it's a kiddy OS i'd prefer the real ones :perfect:

XP is the real one ... mate

Well, let's talk seriously ... you can't really knock something if you haven't tried it, and obviously you haven't tried XP because for a while I was knocking the program myself (and I was a tried-and-true Win98 fanatic) and even I have to say XP is indeed the best OS I have ever used.

I have had it now for about six months and it never stops suprising me with its abilities.

Now my neice was a tried-and-true ME fan for two years and she just recently switched to XP after listening to me laud it with praise constantly. She was very hesitant about it, too, cause she loved her ME.

Now she is a big a fan of XP as I am. Has to say something.

I can't offer any advice on PS 8 itself, since I don't have that kind of money to buy such a program.

I'm sure someone here will have some info for you eventually.

Microsoft only made two outstanding OS: 2K and XPPro. NT and XPhome are ok.

If it isn't written on the package of your cs that you need XP or 2K, then you may return it and you will be refunded.

no matter how hard you try on this one... I think you're gonna be stuck with needing to upgrade. Adobe posts on their site the minimum requirements (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/systemreqs.html).

Prior experience with ME, 98, and 98se have left me feeling a little sour in comparison to my OS of choice now for over a year, XP Pro. I agree with Erik in that this OS and Win2K are the most stable platfroms MS has created. They also offer greater benefits to the developers of software, so unfortunately you will find fewer and fewer apps (especially those that are as intense as the new CS apps) that will run on those older platforms. :(

cheers cloud

looks like a refund is in order

btw ...i have tried XP i didnt like it. my personal opinion

scorpion said:
btw ...i have tried XP i didnt like it. my personal opinion

FYI: XP has a "Windows Classic" Style. Keeps the menus icons (and most behaviors) similar to 98 and ME.

scorpion said:
thats not really a solution since XP sucks mate it's a kiddy OS i'd prefer the real ones
and ME is the real one? :rofl: ( <--- and i only use that emoticon when really asked for)
win2k and XP are built on the NT core and your rather foolish remark shows that you have absolutely no clue what that means.
dont talk about things you dont understand dude...

Chester said:
scorpion said:
thats not really a solution since XP sucks mate it's a kiddy OS i'd prefer the real ones
and ME is the real one? :rofl: ( <--- and i only use that emoticon when really asked for)
win2k and XP are built on the NT core and your rather foolish remark shows that you have absolutely no clue what that means.
dont talk about things you dont understand dude...

things i don't understand? i have a degree in computing ...so don't u give me that shit

just because i'd rather use ME doesn't mean i don't know what i'm tlking about. so keep your opinions to yourself. everyone has a opinion on everything that's yours and this is mine.

Scorp, I totally understand if you like ME and want to continue using it. However, regardless what I or anyone else here thinks, quite honestly Windows XP is the number one hands-down best OS out there.

That said, don't limit yourself simply out of a feeling or hesitation of upgrading. XP was made specifically for use with video, music, and graphics, and with programs like Photoshop XP burns the road up like a Z-95.

I understand what you're saying, just try to understand what we are all trying to tell you - hanging onto ME simply out of like for the OS or hesitation to upgrade is like me hanging onto my grandfather's old DeSoto when instead I could have a Lamborgini.

"and your rather foolish remark shows that you have absolutely no clue what that means.
dont talk about things you dont understand dude..."

take care!
It is not because you seem to be able to behave that we forgot your past!

Better explain why NT is in your opinion the better than becoming personal and insulting!

I upgraded from ME to XP when I bought my VAIO. I was hesitant at first, and really didn't like the change. But after a few weeks working with XP and getting used to the differences I'm more than glad that I dropped ME. What can I say, I like the NT core.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that Microsoft bought the NT core from another company. Hence, the 2 good OS's they've put out they haven't designed.

Erik said:
Better explain why NT is in your opinion the better than becoming personal and insulting!
all i said erik that its a foolish remark. i dont consider that personal or insulting and if he feels it that way... my apologies.

windows NT, 2K and XP are built on the windows NT core.
microsoft decided that the only way to be competitive in the business market, was to develop a new operating system from scratch, one that was more stable and more secure than any other windows operating system at that time. ME can never be better, because that would mean that microsoft wasted all their time (4 years of development for win2k for example) and money on NT for nothing.
i do trust microsoft on one thing... how they know how to compete with their own operating systems ;)

Chester said:
Erik said:
all i said erik that its a foolish remark. i dont consider that personal or insulting and if he feels it that way...

How can you say, I don't consider....? Chester, you can never write, 'I don't consider.' It is only if someone says you were rude, of course someone else could say you were mildly annoying, or only slightly pretentious.

You shouldnt do that ... its always up to others to decide if you were rude or not ... and its possible to that you stay in your 'cloud of rudeness' too long and thereby restricting the way you see yourself.

Just some advice, Chester, nothing more.

(I only use this for special occassions------>) :rofl:

Doug: don't become personal! It is not because Chester, who apologised(!) may not do it that you can. No sneering here, ok?
Please stay on facts and prefereably on Photoshop.

I agree with Chester here that 2K and XPPro are more stable and offer many advantages. I have several pages filled with advice here how to keep ME rolling smootly, and ten times more reader"s questions in magazines showing how problematic it can be.

I was against XP just because many people said it was an upgrade from ME. But I needed XPPro for hyperthrading. And I now know from experience that it is at least as stable as 2K, and very user friendly. I didn't like the blue version, so I set it to silver. I tweaked it a bit (not installing Messenger etc, installing Wordpad, and many tweaks found on various websites) and I never had one crash up to now.
I like the restore points option a lot, and the ability to choose for myself the what and how. I know Microsoft's reputation, and I have a strong dislike for that, but 2K and XPPro are outstanding OS'.

Back