What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 Curves Layer Dialog?

CSJ

Hello All,

In CS5 is there any way to have the Curves Layer Dialog revert back to the old standard interface? When you click Image/Adjustments/Curves you get the standard interface. But when you create a curves adjustment layer you get a horrible new interface, which has been "improved" to the point of being totally useless.

I recently upgraded from CS3, mainly to get the latest ACR to work with a newer camera's RAW files. I use curve layers extensively and have spent a lot of time with CS5, but the new curves layer interface is so incredibly difficult and exasperating that I have now reinstalled CS3 and use it for all my work. I use CS5 to convert from RAW, save as PSD, then open the file in CS3 to do the work.

I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere to revert the dialog back to the standard interface (I've looked but no luck so far). If not, would someone please pass this on to the development team as an urgent request for the next update? Thanks very much.

- CJ

Hoogle

Guru
as to going back to the old version I do not know but however I do love the curves feature of click and drag on an image where you have channel selection RGB Red green blue drop down option click the finger and hand to the left of it then move cursor to your image as you move it over the image you will see in the curves adjustment layer a circle showing you where on the curves line your adjusting then just click and drag I find it an easy way to use curves. I know it does not really answer your question but not many people know about this feature

SeniorS

Guru
I am upset about those new adjustment layers too. And they started with CS4, so if they kept them in CS5 without option to switch back then i suppose they are here to stay.
Hate them actually, CTRL+ now is ALT+, no Cancel, no default mask and (if i'm not mistaken something) then that "circle" color info have little diferent behavior too.

CSJ

Hoogleman,

>I know it does not really answer your question but not many people know
>about this feature

Thanks, I'm sure there are nice new features there. My problem is they have removed several things that prevent me from working the way I want to, making things either more difficult, more time consuming, or impossible, which makes me mutter naughty words (sometimes).

There are no Cancel/Save buttons. I often experiment with changes and then decide to Cancel. I have not found a way to do that. Closing the window automatically saves the changes, which then must be dealt with in the history list. I find that incredibly inefficient. It slows me down and interrupts my concentration and creative thought flow.

They have removed the Preview check box, which I use a lot when trying things. It's an extremely helpful and essential tool. It is replaced with a button (Press to view previous state) which I at first thought did the same thing, but it doesn't. What it does is view what the image looked like before the layer was created. Totally useless.

In the standard dialog you could click anywhere in the window and see a mark on the curve that shows that pixel's value, a very useful feature. If you held the control key while clicking, it put a point on the curve. I used these a lot - both are gone.

I use curve layers extensively and have found this to be so badly frustrating, inefficient and unpleasant I finally reinstalled CS3.

Do Photoshop developers read this forum? If not, is there a way to get feedback to them? Thanks very much.

CJ

SeniorS

Guru
There is way to close it. Little recycle bin at right lower corner, press that. Still Cancel is better.

Steve

Retired Administrator
CSJ said:
Do Photoshop developers read this forum? If not, is there a way to get feedback to them? Thanks very much.

We're not connected to Adobe and no one here has ever identified themselves as being from Adobe.

Will this help you?
This was on the page:

We upgraded to CS5 and I am dealing with the new integrated curves dialog
in the adjustments panel when working with a curves adjustment layer. How
do I get back to the old dialog which shows up when you apply curves
directly to the image/layer?

Photoshop CS5 free extension

CSJ

>There is way to close it. Little recycle bin at right lower corner, press that. Still Cancel is better.

On mine that deletes the layer. I often come back to a previously created curve and experiment with ideas to improve upon it. If I'm not satisfied with the experiments I just Cancel the changes. I don't want to delete the layer.

CJ

CSJ

Will this help you? This was on the page:

Thank You! I installed this and it works fine. I don't like having another tool window taking up precious real estate, but I'm grateful for it. This will allow me to use CS5.
You've made my day!

CJ