What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS5 'save as' changes my file names - Just normal tiff / jpgs... not save for web!

WallaceCP

Does anyone know why photoshop deletes part of my file name if i try to save it in a different location to the one it opens from? I guess it's something to do with the fullstop / point in the filename, but i have no idea how to stop it doing this!

Basically, I have objects numbered 'A24.1 front', 'A24.1 back', A24.2 front' etc etc, and it's changing them all to 'A24'. I've been tearing my hair out trying to find any setting that might stop this happening (the file names cannot be changed) but i'm having no luck.... and as normal the adobe forums and help sites are useless!

I'm using CS5 with windows vista 64bit.

Screen shots attached to illustrate problem. Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 5

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Re: CS5 'save as' changes my file names - Just normal tiff / jpgs... not save for web

it's the dot (full stop, point, whatever) photoshop removes it so it doesnt execute as another file, like i wanted to save an enhanced screenshot of photoshop.exe it would save it as an exe file otherwise.
change the dot to an underscore (_) if you can.

Last edited:

SeniorS

Guru
Re: CS5 'save as' changes my file names - Just normal tiff / jpgs... not save for web

That ".tif" doesn't change your filename (if you don't change ".tif" part). That ".tif" is file extension which is control by operating system. Even if you don't see it, it still there. Of course, you can remove it and then save but in file system it will be still blablabla.tif!

If its bother you then go to your control panel, choose Folder Options, under tab View find "Hide extensions for known file types" and check it. Press "Apply". Now photoshop will not show that ".tif" to you.

But it still there :)

WallaceCP

Thanks Zeealex, I thought that might be the problem. It's very odd though because i've never had this problem before yesterday when i was trying to build an action. I can't change the file names because they are muesum objects, numbered with a specific schema (ie - The armour is A32, and the seperable helmet is A32.1). I've batched over 3000 images numbered like this, and Photoshop has always been happy to create jpgs from the tifs without changing the file name. I'm a bit bamboozled!

WallaceCP

SenoirS, Thanks for the reply, but it's not the extension that it's removing, it's the actual filename that i have given the image.

SeniorS

Guru

I see now where is problem and understand it but don't have solution.
Still i think it's a operating system stuff which removes ".blabla" from name. Like, it takes that A3.back.jpg opens, work with it as A3.back and when comes to save removes .back because it thinks that you need .jpg not .back.
Where in controls change that attitude i don't know. For me on XP it works fine.
Try to find something in Folder options or something like that. Read where is something about extensions.

If you think that it's PS problem, try same naming with some doc files, i believe .back will be removed.

WallaceCP

SeniorS You truly are a Guru! My word docs didn't have the same problem, but i went into my editing folder anyhow, and unclicked the 'hide known extensions' box in folder options, and now everything is working again! Thank you so much for your kind help!

SeniorS

Guru

Lucky quess :) ... Welcomen!

rckmartin100

I think It works on some images but not on all types of EPS files.