What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS6 & Mac OS Catalina

Dumbo

Let's try again.
Is CS6 compatible with Catalina or do I need Photoshop 2022?
The more I search the more confused it gets

Hi @Dumbo

Adobe's answer is no to CS6 running on Catalina and there is the link giving the details: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#:~:text=Which Photoshop versions are compatible,Photoshop 21.0 & Photoshop 20.0.

Now have some people found a sneaky way to open CS6 on Catalina. Yes, yet in the process all sorts of warnings and messages about damaging your computer comes up etc etc (so I am not going to post the link of one way someone opened CS6 on Catalina)

Even if you got it to open up, there are so many reported issues and compatibility issues that have been reported I believe one is setting themselves up for a lot of frustration and wasted time vs doing creative work.

I always recommend matching the computer, OS, and version of Photoshop that has been tested and verified by Adobe. I also hang back a version from the most recent release as new releases usually have their own set of bug issues for a while.

Here is the link that shows the minimum and recommended OSes for various versions of Photoshop and short answer is yet Catalina version 10.15 or later for Photoshop 2022):

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Thanks John and apologies for not getting back sooner but Photoshop/Catalina isn't the only thing that seems to have gone pear-shaped of late. Sadly.
So I need to go for Photoshop 2022, fine but do you know if then files worked on or compatible with files worked on an older system.
My iMac is still on Sierra with CS5 but will files worked on in CS5 open in Photoshop 2022 and similarly if I work on something in 2022 will I be able to open it up and carry on working on it with CS5?

Hi @Dumbo
My understanding is that old files will work the new versions of PS with a few exceptions. Going backwards needs to have the option Maximize compatibility set.
Features that appear on new versions of PS will not be available on older versions so not everything would not work.

I am not the expert on compatibility forwards and backwards yet here is a 3 year old article that talks about it:

John Wheeler

Thanks John......... Can't see the link though I'm afraid and have just seen on the Adobe website that the installation of "2022" is blocked for OS10.15.X which I believe is Catalina.
They're saying that you need Big Sur to run Photoshop 2022 vers24
I'm not convinced that even if I could get my iMac up to Big Sur which I'm not convinced about, I'm not sure it would have the rest of the stuff needed to run Photoshop.
Thing is I had to upgrade to Catalina to be able to access other websites one of which is my bank :(

Thanks John......... that's really helpful...........
As I've said I don't really have much choice to move on in terms of OS and hold my breath.
I've even considered (you may want to look away now..............) going AWOL to Luminar...............:eek: but would prefer to stick to what I know for over 20yrs as I'm comfortable with PS......
Will let you know how it goes............ Thanks again

Sooooooooo have bitten the cash cow and gone the way of Catalina and a yearly licence for PS 23.5.3 as it would appear that PS 24 needs Big Sur.
Still getting to grips with the newness of it all and the fact that more often than not I get the msg "An error has occurred and Photoshop will close down" or similar.
Most bizarre.

Back