What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paid Custom Virtual Reality Hologram Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberNexxus

Price
Price - $10 for single asset (starting, there could be a potential bonus)
Payment - PayPal

Hi Gurus,
I'm working on a cyberpunk piece in the far distant future and I have an extract of a blue and white wireframe Apache helo (pic below) which I would like to include as a VR / AR hologram. I'm not asking for a composite work, this job is for the effect to be applied to a single asset and the end result be in .png format with a transparent background.

Time isn't too much of a factor, but the sooner you produce something great the better. However a week is more preferable than a month as an example.

I've tried to learn an effect myself, but all I can turn up is a Star Wars hologram effect with scan lines which I find to be a very displeasing aesthetic. I also lose a lot of the wireframe detail with that effect and being a wireframe of a 3D model it already has bit of a hologram look to it, but I'm looking for a more high tech and stylish aesthetic to really sell the effect.

I want the helo to look like it belongs in cyberspace appearing to inhabit a world with a high degree of technology in the distant future.

Here are the guidelines:
[1] Don't use the Star Wars hologram effect or a typical hologram effect. I've tried them and they don't look good especially on a wireframe asset, so I'm paying for something a little more unique.
[2] Try to preserve as much detail as possible for the high tech look. I understand some detail will be lost with alterations, but please do your best to keep a good bit.
[3] Please don't incorporate scan lines.
[4] Please don't use any effect dependent upon find edges, glowing edges or requires a black background in order for the effect to work. It's OK if the filters are used to enhance the effect, but not if they're the primary technique to pull it off and the effect should still be able to work without those filters or the black background.

Optional: The potential for the bonus comes into play if you include a simple yet clearly explained concise document to tell me the steps taken. This is optional and it doesn't have to be a super detailed tutorial, but explains the process well enough that I can recreate your masterful effect to re-use it again at a later time.

If interested respond back in this thread and feel free to post your submissions.

Here is the asset to be modified (post if you need higher resolution):
Apache Helo Extract.png
Here is the world it will inhabit for color reference so the modified asset matches in tone:
Background.jpg

A different approach I'm not sure if I followed all the instruction, my english is not the best XD

It can be lest distort and detailed if you want but I liked better this way.

Backgrounde.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good guys, I like the subtle transparency and they look ghostly lol. I like what I'm seeing so far. I only have one final request before selecting one.

@bucsuan123 - a little more transparency and glow with Tron light lines (see below)

@Argos - Slightly less transparency (not too much), tone down the brightness of the highlights and add glowing Tron light lines to the highlights and outline with a different background color (see below). Also bring the tail fin back lol.

@JJLAPIN - Nice work, but a little less outer glow and accent the highlights and the outline of the chopper with Tron light lines would be nice (see below).

Argos is on a good path, taking what he did here is what I would like to see:
[1] Slightly less transparency and a little more solidity to the model. Somewhere between Argos and JJLAPIN's models.
[2] Tone down the brightness of Argos' highlights slightly. Not too much, just a little tweaking.
[3] Enhance with outline of the chopper and the highlights with glowing Tron light lines. Considering the model is blue a nice lighter shade of a complimentary yellow / orange.

To answer your question I like the transparecy of the the second one.

Ok, I'm going to do my best to explain the Tron part and if I'm still not clear please tell me so I can do my best to explain it better.

In "Tron" characters have glowing lines of light outlining certain areas of their costume. Here are some examples:

PKnnjpTtaQSHdZE-800x450-noPad.jpg
tron-struggles-to-break-free-from-FUD.jpg
Vader was never in Tron, but I thought this was pretty damn cool.
tron-wars-darth-vader-tron-mashup-art.jpg

So here is what I would like to see:
[1] Outline the entire shape or frame of the helicopter with lines of light in a different color. It doesn't have to be the same color as the above examples, but something that contrasts from the blue of the model. However, a lighter shade of yellow-orange complimentary to the model's blue would be nice. I would like to see the lines of light for the shape of the chopper and the glowing highlight regions so they stand out from the rest of the 3D model.

[2] The model already has glowing highlights. Whatever color you choose to do the Tron lines of light the highlights should match. I created a visual to illustrate just some of the glowing highlights that I'm referring to, I didn't make this visual to be mean or rude so please don't take it that way.
Example.jpg
Also you don't have to focus only on the areas the arrows are pointing to, you're the artist so wherever you think the Tron lines of light would look good add them there.

[3] It doesn't have to be simply lines of light. As in the Tron Vader example it can be glowing lines with shapes, patterns or symbols. Play around with it for a bit and do what you think looks good.

If there is still confusion please let me know.

I think I understand now, thanks for the explanation.

Not sure if the Tron lines will work in a hologram but I will try.

Maybe it's that I don't get the full picture of your idea but after a various test, I couldn't make it work.

The only thing I came out that I think it's close and maybe it works, is something like this.

Backgroundee.jpg

Nice one bucsuan123, although the midtones are a bit off.

I see what you sneaky folks are doing, I already figured it out. I was messing around in Photoshop changing layer blend modes when BAM! It hit me lol. "They're tyring to get a quick and easy payday!"

Pretty ingenius. However, I did create this thread and I'm a man of my words so I will follow through. Here's the deal, the first person to color the glowing highlights in the model and add tron lines before I do it myself gets the money. Be artistic and play around with it a bit.

I promise I will buy one of them although I know what you all are doing now, but impress me nonetheless.

I see what you sneaky folks are doing, I already figured it out. I was messing around in Photoshop changing layer blend modes when BAM! It hit me lol. "They're tyring to get a quick and easy payday!"

Pretty ingenius. However, I did create this thread and I'm a man of my words so I will follow through. Here's the deal, the first person to color the glowing highlights in the model and add tron lines before I do it myself gets the money. Be artistic and play around with it a bit.

I promise I will buy one of them although I know what you all are doing now, but impress me nonetheless.

thanks for appreciation :)

I see what you sneaky folks are doing, I already figured it out. I was messing around in Photoshop changing layer blend modes when BAM! It hit me lol.

I didn't use blend modes ^^. if you do it that way you don't have the selections to play and add other effects. Like for example, I added some fragmentation to try to add some distortion to the hologram with the blend mode you also distort the city.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back