What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darkening a glass surface

What I'm Trying To Do: darken an SUV window to make it look blacked out.

How I'm Doing It: spent over 90 minutes reading through Help documents, reading about Vanishing Point and the Stamp tool (wouldn't let me even select the Stamp Tool), tried using the Paint Brush, the Lasso Tool, tried Patching an area (someone in the photo is wearing sunglasses), and I'm obviously just too new to get any of it to work.

What I'm Seeking: someone who can talk stupid to me (I'm more of a beginner than I realized) and lay out how to make regular, see-through glass look like black glass. When I did it I either couldn't select the area properly (not sure which selection tool is best) or I couldn't get the black to look anything but fake, it just didn't look like black glass.
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here's my result using the following methods:

Select dark grey, sample sunglasses and adjust as needed. Make selection of window using quick selection tool if you have it or magic wand. If you don't see quick select tool, look for magic wand; it is with that.

Make new layer and set blend mode to overlay. Fill selection with the dark grey (you may want darker than I did).
There is no reflection on the window pane, so if you want to make one, make new layer, get soft, low opacity brush, set blend mode to soft light and paint in some highlights. Thst's my suggestion. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Stric9

Power User
First copy the lens of the sunglasses to a new layer. I would use the pen tool.
1.jpg
Now with the selection active hit cntrl+J to make a new layer via copy.
3.jpg
Now move and transform the new layer over the windsheild by pushing cnrtl+t.

4.jpg
Now time to make a mask. Turn your opacity down to 70% so you can see the details through the lens. Then click the layer mask icon.
5.jpg
Now with a brush paint black on the mask where you don't want the image. Remember you can paint straight lines by clicking once, hold shift and click again.
6.jpg
Now set the opacity to your liking.

First copy the lens of the sunglasses to a new layer. I would use the pen tool.
View attachment 8179
Now with the selection active hit cntrl+J to make a new layer via copy.
View attachment 8181
Now move and transform the new layer over the windsheild by pushing cnrtl+t.

View attachment 8182
Now time to make a mask. Turn your opacity down to 70% so you can see the details through the lens. Then click the layer mask icon.
View attachment 8184
Now with a brush paint black on the mask where you don't want the image. Remember you can paint straight lines by clicking once, hold shift and click again.
View attachment 8185
Now set the opacity to your liking.

Thanks!

peter.v.ngo

well couldn't you just use the color selector for any brush and select a shade that you like from the glasses, (with windows selected via pentool, ect.) brush in everything then set the layer to overlay and change the opacity/fill until you like the color?

bailey

digimods co uk

may be of some help have a look at the tutorials mate tinting is in there somewhere i lernt how to do it there

iirc lasso the windows
then go image, adjustments, veriations, and just darken
you can also add diffretn colours to it