What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeLores-del Rio Colorization-comments please

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Downloaded from Library of Congress.
Color from Grey Scale image

DeLores-delRio-Color.jpgDeLores-delRio-Original GS.jpg
  • Title: Delores Del Rio
  • Date Created/Published: [19--?]
  • Medium: 1 photographic print.
  • Summary: Head and shoulders, facing right.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-75576 (b&w film copy neg.)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Call Number: BIOG FILE - Del Rio, Delores [item] [P&P]
  • Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
  • Notes:
    • Title and other information transcribed from caption card and item.
    • Photoprint by Bain News Service.
    • George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).
    • Caption card tracings: Photog. I.; BI; Ph. IndH

The colors look pretty good, but in my opinion it's lacking depth. try to incorporate the subtleties (mainly highlights). Look at the hair and notice how you can almost see individual strands of hair, but on yours it is very different. Try to keep these details.

Edit: Looking at it again I've noticed that the background is probably adding a lot of 'flatness' to the image. Try and imagine what the depth of field would be in the photograph. If the wallpaper behind her had those specks they would almost certainly not be that sharp.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. It also occurs to me in retrospect that the lipstick back in that day was probably not that saturated. Right? I'm old..but not THAT old to remember that time in history. I'll keep that in mind on the background, I obviously did not think of it as such.
The colors look pretty good, but in my opinion it's lacking depth. try to incorporate the subtleties (mainly highlights). Look at the hair and notice how you can almost see individual strands of hair, but on yours it is very different. Try to keep these details.

Edit: Looking at it again I've noticed that the background is probably adding a lot of 'flatness' to the image. Try and imagine what the depth of field would be in the photograph. If the wallpaper behind her had those specks they would almost certainly not be that sharp.

Back