What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did you know: Burn Tool + ALT = Lighten Tool

SeniorS

Guru
Of course, 90% of you knows it allready. But if you aren't in that percentage and don't "waste" time reading manuals then you know now.

Burn Tool:
burntool.jpg

With pressed ALT key Burn Tool turns into "Lighten" Tool. Options for it are same as Burn Tool, so bigger % in Exposure it will lighten more place you paint with it.

Tip: don't set Exposure more that 5% (maximum 10%). Better paint twice that will be more accurate.

Usage: For quick lighten some places on image without masking and selectiong. In overall it isn't most precise tool in PS. But for quick and fast lighten it's good. Like 5cents improvment in 5 seconds. Good deal :)

Hope it's usefull.

P.S. I found it years ago by accident and keep using it almost everyday.

Paul

Former Member
I bet theres more short cuts and tricks to this than any of us realise, the more short cuts the better lol.
Thanks Senior

Paul

Former Member
do you know how to print screen then transfer to photoshop in new file open and make the size you want then press ctrl v this brings the screen capture up into that new frame you just made, but you already knew that one mate lol.

Paul

Former Member
Lol.
How about the sleep button then?

Paul

Former Member
press the sleep button on your keyboard it turns the screen off

SeniorS

Guru
LoL...actually it suppose to put system in sleep mode by default (i think). I had one ages ago.
It can be configured to do almost anything like to format harddisk if there is such need (or you want to make "joke" with someone).

Hoogle

Guru
with photoshop it does not recognise the clipboard when it is open if you close photoshop and open it again and select file new and set size to clipboard then go to edit paste it will import your screen capture. I do not get on with the burn tool I use 2 adjustment layers 1 with a curves adjustment to darken the image and another 1 with a lightened curves invert the mask and gradually brush in the effects does the same as burn and dodge tools but far more accurate if your using a low opacity brush and gradually build up the effect.

Paul

Former Member
Got any examples with before and after that you have made mate please?

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm confused. I use the clipboard all the time for internet images: right click, copy img, file new OK, paste. I must be misunderstanding

Paul

Former Member
I know what it is H just asking if you had any to put up?

Vafann

Guru
Of course, 90% of you knows it allready. But if you aren't in that percentage and don't "waste" time reading manuals then you know now.

Burn Tool:
View attachment 6488

With pressed ALT key Burn Tool turns into "Lighten" Tool. Options for it are same as Burn Tool, so bigger % in Exposure it will lighten more place you paint with it.

Tip: don't set Exposure more that 5% (maximum 10%). Better paint twice that will be more accurate.

Usage: For quick lighten some places on image without masking and selectiong. In overall it isn't most precise tool in PS. But for quick and fast lighten it's good. Like 5cents improvment in 5 seconds. Good deal :)

Hope it's usefull.

P.S. I found it years ago by accident and keep using it almost everyday.

I don´t quite understand, you mean that when you press alt, the burn tool switches to the dodge tool? You can do that with with almost all the tools can´t you? :)

Shercal

For some reason my print screen doesn't work and I miss it....the windows snip tool is a good alternative though.