What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dimensions of Photo not being maintained?

wizard99

I have designed Baseball Cards measuring 2.5" x 3.5" as the Final dimensions. This size was set in the Preset Details of the original Layers for the card. The finished Card was confirmed from IMAGE Specs 2.5 x 3.5 as desired, but when I upload to Amazon Photo's (for example) for printing, and I choose 4 x 6 knowing I would need to trim the excess paper unused around the card, the content is shown on screen filling all the area to the edges... with the segmented line (showing if your upload was larger than the paper size chosen) around the perimeter of the outside of the 4x6. It does not appear as the smaller dimensions (2.5 x 3.5) that I locked in and what I uploaded to the print site is being maintained.. Any advice on how to insure a 2.5 x 3.5 is maintained and not resized by the Printer if indeed this is what is occurring.

Hi @wizard99
If your photo service is automatically gowing your image to fit and you want it to stay exactly as you laid it out then:
- In photoshop, create your 2.5 x 3.5:
Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 2.31.56 PM.JPG

Then use the command Image > Canvas Size and set it to 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall with White Backbround, leave it centered, and do not check relative:

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 2.32.21 PM.JPG

And click OK and you will get the following:

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 2.32.37 PM.JPG

Printers will recognize the white areas as something that should be printed and not do any resizing.
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

John...

Thank you for the informative step x step....... First error I made was using the IMAGE Size to set the parameters when I started the design instead of the CANVAS Size. I took my original PSD & JPEG and resized them as you outlined and now it correctly provides me with the 2.5 x 3.5" Card Standard I was seeking. Sending it over for Print shows the smaller size on the larger field as it should be. Many thanks for the lesson!

Back