What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need a spectrocolorimeter ?

Mary

Hello,

I’m trying to make reproductions of paitings. To put it in a few words, I first scan the paintings, next I colour correct them in photoshop and then take test prints. I’m aiming for high quality, print outs. The printer I use is a Espson SC7000 and hahnemule paper ( I print using the Hahnemule printer profiles)

Yes, there is a colour shift from the colour I see on the monitor, but I guess making my own profiles using the spectrocolorimeter the shift won’t be so far off.

Will appreciate your thoughts on use and necessity of the spectrocolorimeter and some information on a good one.

Thanks a lot,
Mary

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To answer your question.......... the color analyzer (CA) or spectrocolorimeter, will be used to sample the original painting and then the prints. If your going for color accuracy on the prints, then I would say that you may need one.

Yes, there is a colour shift from the colour I see on the monitor,
This is to be expected. Monitor calibration is a must. Color space is another determiner here as well.

Mary said:
but I guess making my own profiles using the spectrocolorimeter the shift won’t be so far off.
Possibly but not necessarily true. The preexisting color profile sampled by the CA offers a starting point in the form of a color model setting eg; RGB, CMYK. Ps will output that color model setting and it's accuracy will depend on your color space settings and the printers color management. Alterations may be required.

The use of the CA is to provide accurate color matches between the original and the printed version. I don't envy you, the accuracy battle between original and print could prove exhausting...............any tool that you have to make that process easier is a good idea.