What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb Question No 1 in a series of many............

Dumbo

I'm sure this is a very basic question that I really should know the answer to having been using PS for about the last 12yrs but it's something that's only been bugging me in the last couple of months.
When you're working with piccies in PS, there's a little box in the bottom left-hand corner which shows the image being shown in percent. For some reason, not known to me, my piccies always come up with 16,67% although I would prefer to have 20% and save them at that percentage.
So, how can I change this figure so that when I open up a new image it'll be shown automatically at, say, 20%?
Thanks.

peta62

Guru
Do not worry, I am a Dumbo too, using Photoshop just to improve my photos and I visit here to learn new stuff and improve my techniques.
About 16.67%, it is 100/6, so I think it is the reason, I think there is some algorithm for starting point derived from picture properties. Did not help much, I know, I told you I am a Dumbo too ;-)
Best regards,
Peter
P.S. BTW I still think real dumbos never even notice things like this.

Dumbo

I'm really surprised that no-one out there knows the answer to this "problem".......:rolleyes:

merlinman

I think you might be talking about the navigator? It shows you the amount of percent you're zoomed in/out If you try zooming in and out on the picture, you'll see the number changes.

If you click on the number and type "20" or "100" it'll zoom in 20% or 100%. But you shouldn't worry, when you save the picture it saves it as 100% which is the real size :p I hope this helps, shoul be your problem! :)

peta62

Guru
I think he knows this, he just wonders about automatically set magnification when he opens the picture in Photoshop.

Dumbo

Yep Peta62, that's exactly it. I've tried trawling Google but it looks like I'm the only dumb animal who:
either doesn't know
or
actually gives a damn............ ;-)

Dataflow

Power User
this is from the help file
Note: The 100% view of an image displays an image as it will appear in a browser (based on the monitor resolution and the image resolution).

Last edited:

Dataflow

Power User
Unfortunately this is again true fact that does not answer the original question.
i wasnt giving an answer just giving options to look at.
no one has the answer so thinking of things that might or might not help cant hurt.
thats how and why i can find a solution for most things because i dont just look at what i think is the answer.

Dataflow

Power User
not sure how to do it but as a workaround you could probably create an action that happens when you open a new image that automatically zooms the image to a level you set.
here is a script here that might work

Last edited:

Dumbo

Not too sure about that ibclare as I'm still incapable of doing what's suggested. :cry:
I copied the script, went into the script event manager but couldn't find anywhere I can copy the script into.......
So, I click the box by "Enable Events etc", then by "Photoshop Event" I put in "Open Doc" but where the box "Script" is I don't seem to be able to do anything that makes sense. I thought perhaps "Resize" was right but even then, where do I copy my script to......?

Yours in confusion...........

PS: Ta muchly for all your replies, I'm so close but feel myself still light years away............:neutral:

Dataflow

Power User
you dont copy it you save it as a file then place it in the preset script folder (instructions are on the link i posted)