What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DuraPlaq Products

Steve

Retired Administrator
I realize there aren't to many serious photographers here but I wanted to pass this along.
I went to an art/craft show over the weekend and met a photographer named Jim Saylor.

I loved his photographs but the way they were displayed was absolutely beautiful.
For many of his photo displays he used a company called DuraPlaq the results IMHO is absolutely stunning and cheaper in most cases to custom framing.

ibclare

Queen Bee
That is a beautiful product to create the display for even more beautiful photography Steve. His work is really very impressive, colorful, well composed, amazingly clear, etc. Thanks for sharing both with us. That must have been a very gratifying visit, meeting the artist and viewing his work. Did you get to purchase any?

On a slightly off-topic note, have you ever looked into Giclee?

Steve

Retired Administrator
He had some very nice photos but I was more impressed with the mounting than the actual photos.
I just had 16X20 custom frames and mattes made for 8 of my photos and this process is cheaper, and a very impressive way to display your work.
Not only is the mounting impressive, there's no glass covering the image.
Even non glare museum glass takes something away for the photograph.

I never heard of
Giclee Clare but I'll check them out.

Tom Mann

Guru
From Wikipedia (and my own experience with the self-aggrandizing merchants & artists who use this term):

Giclée (/ʒiːˈkleɪ/ zhee-klay or /dʒiːˈkleɪ/) is a neologism coined in 1991 by printmaker Jack Duganne[1] for fine art digital prints made on inkjet printers. The name originally applied to fine art prints created on IRIS printers in a process invented in the late 1980s but has since come to mean any inkjet print. It is often used by artists, galleries, and print shops to denote high quality printing but since it is an unregulated word it has no associated warranty of quality.[2]

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for bringing Dura Plaq to our attention, Steve. It does indeed look like a very nice way to show prints, and incidentially looks like they would also be easier to store and ship than conventional frames.

T

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm sure there are a variety of definitions for giclee, but I refer to the one on which you can reproduce, for example, paintings and have the color and texture done very well. I have seen these and considered having them done for some of my paintings so I could sell or give them for gifts. However, it is not an inexpensive process! The canvas or other chosen material gives the closest reproduction I have ever seen.