What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edit to repair a damaged photo

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
This photo was carried in a wallet and severely damaged. I actually worked with split frequency to help in the process of removing all of the damage. Turned out pretty well I think.
jbeditoriginal.jpg
Repair:
jbedit.png

Paul

Former Member
Maybe look to putting some detail back into the clothing.

Paul

Former Member
Just knocked this up, coat from net of a nurses uniform top, stretched and pulled to position, i then desaturated it to match your original.

nrse.jpg

ALB68

Sorry Paul, nice try but my client would know her uniform didn't look like that.
the original just didn't have the detail so I stayed with it without creating new.
Just knocked this up, coat from net of a nurses uniform top, stretched and pulled to position, i then desaturated it to match your original.

View attachment 44798

Paul

Former Member
Sorry Paul, nice try but my client would know her uniform didn't look like that.
the original just didn't have the detail so I stayed with it without creating new.

Not knocking your effort mate just offering alternatives.

ALB68

No offence taken mate, that sounded different than what I meant. You did a great job with what you did, but it just wasn''t what I intended. Thanks for the input!
Not knocking your effort mate just offering alternatives.

Tom Mann

Guru
To satisfy my curiosity, I wanted to see if I could pull anything even slightly useful out of the blown highlights (eg, uniform and cap). FWIW, unfortunately, I couldn't get anything more than what Ego got. BTW, for the attached image, I did very little to the skin and dark areas.

Although it's a somewhat of a matter of personal preference, for most uses, I think it's preferable to leave a bit of texture in the nearly blown areas rather than either completely blowing them out to pure white or over-smoothing them. Even if one leaves nothing more than a trace of the crinkles and cracks of age on the photo in these areas, I think this looks more realistic and gives the viewer's eyes something to focus on, much like the well known but controversial practice of adding a trace of grain onto digital photos for the same reason.

Cheers,

Tom

Attachments

• jbeditoriginal-tjm01-acr-ps02a_incr_detail-698px_hi-01.jpg
    jbeditoriginal-tjm01-acr-ps02a_incr_detail-698px_hi-01.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 107

ALB68

Advice well taken Master..but my client loved it and isn't that what we are after bottom line?

egosbar

Guru
yep what ever the client wants mate , i agree with tom , i like the look of an aged photo but remove the major damage , if i spent another four hours on the image id get it pretty good id think but your right its what the client wants is important

adinelt

Touch image to do. When I've had one like that, I would go through and manually clone out each wrinkle. Gads! That is a lot of work.

AliG

I am new to the forum and I have a passion for old photographs and learning to restore them, so I am checking out posts on this subject. My only observation is that the contrast between the black and white, and the bright highlights on her face make the photo "harsh" for lack of a better word. I prefer the softer yellows that old photos often have. That said, the restoration is impressive and most importantly, your client loved it. What a wonderful gift to give them.

ALB68

I am new to the forum and I have a passion for old photographs and learning to restore them, so I am checking out posts on this subject. My only observation is that the contrast between the black and white, and the bright highlights on her face make the photo "harsh" for lack of a better word. I prefer the softer yellows that old photos often have. That said, the restoration is impressive and most importantly, your client loved it. What a wonderful gift to give them.

Since this was posted back in April of this year, I have reworked this photo several times just to test new techniques as I learned them. I won't labor the forum by posting results again but have greatly improved my methodology on these type restorations to try and make them more natural to the subject. I constantly strive to improve and you should make that your practice also. Thanks for your comment.