What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Hugabee!

I like this edit and it's a great job for one of your first attempts.

Ok.....feedback.
You have a nice stary nighttime scene for a background and a lake scene with a reflection that was created during daylight. The overall scene would make better sense if there were some explanation for the bright reflection, like a moon maybe. The area in the left lower foreground where you have dark water and reflected stars would look more appropriate covering the reflected sky area in the lake.

There's a very hard edge (from the selection) on the mountains. You could soften the selection using refine layer mask/edge (depending on how you made the selection) or you could just run over the edges with the Blur Tool to soften that transition between mountains and sky.

edit: Now that I've taken a closer look, there are some really rough edges on the mountains.
Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 1.50.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 1.50.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 1.50.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 1.50.40 AM.png

These are a result from the selection process. How or what technique did you use to make the selection?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have the original photo of the lake and mountains that you used in this composite and do you mind linking or posting it?

Hugabee

Yes sorry it took so long to reply.
I got the original photo of the mountains with the sky in the background. I then used magic want tool to remove most of the original sky. I then used lasso tool to get most of the fine areas.
I will try find the original but i may have deleted it :l

Hugabee

Screenshot_4.jpg
I have found one which i removed the background on :D What would you recomend to clean up the mountians?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you use a layer mask to remove the background or did you just make a selection and delete?

Always use a layer mask because it's non-destructive and it can be adjusted.

In your case, place a new layer below the mountain layer and fill with white. This will allow you to visualize parts of the background that you missed.
If you deleted the sky, then use the Eraser Tool to clean up the mountain edges and the leftover sky.

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 5.06.05 PM.png

Hugabee

Did you use a layer mask to remove the background or did you just make a selection and delete?

Always use a layer mask because it's non-destructive and it can be adjusted.

In your case, place a new layer below the mountain layer and fill with white. This will allow you to visualize parts of the background that you missed.
If you deleted the sky, then use the Eraser Tool to clean up the mountain edges and the leftover sky.

View attachment 68067

Yes i did only use the selection tool and delete.
I will try using a layer mask now

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, the image was missing. I added it back.