What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Processing Editing a photo to look like a graphic

Sarahr_7

Hi!

So I really want to find out how to edit a photo to make it look like a digital graphic type of thing (for cars in particular). See attached photos to see what I mean. The photo is mine and I am trying to find out how to make it look like the graphic on the shirt.

I bought this super awesome sweatshirt with a Mustang on it and then I realized that I have lots of similar pictures and if I could just figure out how to make it into a graphic, I could make similar items. Any help would be much appreciated!!

IMG_0069.JPGmustang shirt.jpg

you could:
1. Trace it from scratch in a vector program like Adobe Illustrator. Or vectorize it with the automatic option in illustrator, choose a black and white logo option or two colors. Also, you could edit it after that to add details that were not translated correctly.
2. Edit it with filters in photoshop (though it will not look as good and will not be resizable unless you do it in a high resolution from the very beginning. This is where vectors really shine, they are resizable and do not lose quality).
3. Try a combination of both.

Erase the background. In photoshop I would adjust the contrast or the levels to get rid of the midtones and accentuate the darker shades. Erase the background. Then, copy that image and try doing a trace image with adobe illustrator. The adjust the vectors until it looks the way I want it.

The punchline is that there is no automated filter you can use to do it pressing one button.

Elfmistress said:
The punchline is that there is no automated filter you can use to do it pressing one button.

Amen to that.

The new curvature pen tool will help with the tracing - but it is going to take a little bit of work.

Cheers

John

Back