What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing Text in an Existing Layer

SteveTun

I created a single layer text document it is all text, which I saved as a JPG file on my hard drive and published on a newsletter through MailChimp. Unfortunately I misspelled one word in the article. So I re-opened the JPG file in Photoshop and am attempting to edit the text within the current Layer - whenever I try to edit the existing text it creates a new layer and will not allow me to edit the existing text in the current layer. I have been searching the internet for articles on how to edit a layer but everything I try just creates another layer and will not allow me to edit the text in the existing layer. Is there any way to edit the text in an existing layer without creating a new layer?

Saving as a JPG does not preserve the layers of the original file. Therefore, any attempt to edit a JPG image, even if it is text, will only result in having to create a NEW layer to do so.

If you want the ability to edit text in future projects, save the file as a PSD file and only export as a JPG file.

You can't edit a text layer that has been rasterized by turning it into a jpeg.

You should always save the project as a Photoshop file (*.psd) first and save again as jpeg (or other raster file.)

Oops, crossing replies...

Back