What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effect Help - Physical representation of thoughts (picture attached)

BlaveStayman

Can anyone tell me how I could make these transparent, glowing structures/symbols to give the effect of seeing someones thoughts?

architecture (1).jpg

Thanks in advance!

Ross Ozarka

First, get your source imagery- your actor, and the blueprints/trig functions/whatever. For 3D buildings, you can download wireframes from Google SketchUp and use those.

1. Duplicate your layer.
2.Mask out everything but your actor, and anything you want a thought to be behind. You can do this with the Pen Tool, quick mask, layer mask- which all deserve their own tutorials.
2. Bring in your first blueprint on a new layer, then go Edit > Transform >Perspective. This allows you to manipulate the blueprint in a manner that mimics perspective. You will have to tweak it a bunch.
3. Put that payer between your background layers and actor layer. Lower the opacity to the desired look, then in the layer palette, go FX > Outer Glow, and edit the settings as you see fit.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Put blueprint layers above your actor to make the thoughts on top of him.

Hope this helps!

BlaveStayman

That worked great!

Would you be able to say more about using Google SketchUp, importing into PS? I've never used it before.

Thanks for the help!