What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effect to indicate image is reflected in a mirror?

lurky

hi,
I have an image that should appear as a reflection in a mirror. This is not photorealistict art, rather more like comic book art. IS there an effect that I can apply to indicate a reflection, maybe adjust the brightness or somehow add a shimmer? Thank you

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A screenshot is worth a thousand words.

You can add a couple of effects......

Normal mirror. Looks like a normal reflection.
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.51.02 AM.png

Solid color overlay adjustment layer with reduced opacity then clipped to a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.51.15 AM.png

Or a "shimmer" Type effect. Similar as mentioned above in how it's done. Can go any direction or be another shape.
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.51.29 AM.png

All of the above require that you make a selection of the mirror area to be affected. Then use layer masks.
Add the layer mask to the mirror layer and then clip new layers above with the added adjustment layers.
(This is not a perfect selection...... done fast for demo and not accuracy)
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.56.34 AM.png

lurky

hi, thanks for the info...
I added a solid white layer and adjusted opacity, I'd like to add the shimmer type effect... is there a way to add this under Layer styles? Maybe bevel and emboss ? or Satin?
Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A screenshot is worth a thousand words.

Please post the image in question so we have a better idea as to what you're trying to do. Do you have the area isolated? With a mask? ??????

Also post an example of what you refer to as a shimmer.

I added a solid white layer and adjusted opacity, I'd like to add the shimmer type effect... is there a way to add this under Layer styles? Maybe bevel and emboss ? or Satin?
Well, it all depends on how you go about creating the shimmer.

Thanks.

A different type of shimmer.
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 3.41.59 PM.png