What's new

Explosion effect

G

• [*]Add a new layer and fill it with black
    [*]Add a new layer
    [*]Set foreground to yellow, background to red
    [*]Create irregular selection(s) with "lasso tool"
    [*]Select filter / render / clouds (sometimes you need to use it more than once to get the desired effect; CTRL+F)
    [*]Deselect
    [*]Add filter / blur / gaussian blur (40)
    [*]Add a new layer
    [*]Set foreground to black, background to white (shortcut: D)
    [*]Set blending mode to "color dodge"
    [*]Select filter / render / clouds (sometimes you need to use it more than once to get the desired effect; CTRL+F)
    [/list:u]

When you're done, also try out some other Gaussian blur values or extra/different selections.

Have fun and if anybody else has some ideas to make this explosion more realistic, please feel free to comment.

Erik

Guru
I've been playing with your explosion...I wanted to add rays, but didn't exactly remember how to make them when I started. Then I got carried away... I ended up with a flattened image, and can't explain exactly how I got here. I do remember Polar Coordinates, Motion Blur, Noise, Wind and blend modes.

Amnesia, or: the effects of a conciousness explosion on the mind of a virtual pixelpusher. (that is: I think I disagree)

G

Hey, that is cool Erik, or should I say hot :rofl:
There is a lot of action and movement going on in this one. I like it. It almost looks like a kinda stargate...:perfect:

G

Stroker, thanks for the link. I think I stumbled over that same link a while ago. It's an interesting link, because it shows some use for the "polar coordinates" filter.

BTW Stroker, I read your signature; "All of your avatars will be assimilated to look like mine. Resistance is futile."

Leave my innocent G alone or I will give yours the following facelift :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S

Stroker1

Dude, I could show you so many cool things with Polar Coords. "Domain Shifting" with PC is one of the coolest tricks ever. Give me enough time and I'll ramble about it.

I wouldn't know how to assimilate your `G' avatar. However, I did assimilate kiwi's avatar last week for fun. Too bad I didn't save it. :sigh:

G

Yes Stroker, you really should show us these "polar coordinates" tricks, because only a few experiments with it, showed me some amazing stuff :shocked:
I really would like to know what this "domain shifting" is all about.

ok I gaave it a goooo just to stay in the game

Yep this was fun except I couldn't get rid of the strong yellow. I tried hyper clouds, etc. finally just gave up mainly because I got tired of running the clouds filter.
But it was fun.
Joy

Smoke and fire

Needed some smoke?

kiwi

Guru
Quick evryone hide their avatars :D

That sounds like a bit of humor my avatar being assimilated :)

I am going to have a go at these explosions as well.

Stu.

Linda - good one

Hot stuff, Linda
I like the red around the explosion.
Joy

G

Allt that beautiful work, great guys, really well done.

But I do have one concern about the ladies...their axes, fires and terrible explosions really scare me enough to say:

I'M OUTA HERE!!!"

lindaw

Power User
HA HA HA Gaus! Maybe Mark should be looking at this thread! It will better prepare him for what's in store in the coming months!!:rofl: :rofl: :D [stuned]

G

...and take it easy girls...before you know it things get out of hand! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

S

Stroker1

Oooh. Not a bad idea. Now take a real chunk out of it and crispify the edges. You know, make it look like it's been burning for awhile.

G

Stroker, this is just one those moments that I really don't care if it's lifelike or not :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: