What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extreme white

Air_walk

Hello guys! I have a problem with some images getting very white certain places, especially when I take a shots with the sky included! (known as white-burn? I guess its caused by the cameras white-settings or what you call it in English) anyway Is there a way to correct this in photoshop?

As you see on the left side of this image, up where the cross is, its extremely white! Doesn't look very natural to me...
Image - 64kb

AW

tranquil222

Power User
You're getting what are called "blown-out" highlights, meaning that the highlights are so bright that they have no information in them at all, meaning that there are areas that are absolute white. Digital cameras are notorious for blowing out highlights, more so than normal film, because the sensitivities of chips are more than normal film, and they expose differently(a very typical example is someone taking a picture of a subject next to an open window. the subject is very dark and the light from the window is a blob of blown out highlights. this can be remedied by using fill flash if your camera supports that, or just turning the flash on). Sometimes however, you can rescue parts of your image that look blown out, but are not actually tone-less. The way you can do that is simply do a curves adjustment layer, and pull the curve all the way down as far as you can. This will be the test to see if your highlights are in fact absolute white. If you find that there is tonal information in your highlights, you can keep that curves adjustment layer on the darkness level that you would like your highlights to be. Then mask out normal parts of the image so that they arent affected by the darkening of the adjustment layer. Hope this helps.

JoeD

Power User
Air_walk said:
Is there a way to correct this in photoshop?
Always try to correct mistakes on the camera side first.
Digital photographers always go for darker when they are in doubt. One of the most common problems is always the highlights.
If you have a stop correction on your camera, go for -1 if you think that you'll have a problem with the highlights.

Air_walk

Thank you so much for the help! I'll see what I can do :) So if I just turn on normal flash when shooting images where I think its going to "blow-out" it might prevent it?

P

(PSD) Sergiy

Serge

I dont know how neatly this example looks, i only gave it a fast try. You can actualy follow this link to get a sky Brushes , so than you could draw the sky in really easy way in less than one minute. But before you will draw the skies, you need take a lasso polygonal or just lasso tool and go over some spots on the church than, layer via copy and put it on top of the layers. Under new layer created, create another layer and draw your skies on it.
--- http://home.comcast.net/~psdsergiy/church-try.jpg ---
Good Luck

Lee

Guru
If none of the above helps just knock-out the sky and replace it with one that is properly exposed. ;)