What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Face morphing - mixing skin colours

sharonf88

hi!

im new in photoshop and im interested in face manipulation - morphing
i saw a vid on youtube and tried it myself, but im having difficulties with combining the skin colours.
how can i smooth the transfer between the two faces and apply the background skin colour on to the edited nose and around the eyes?

www.siz.co.il/my/ohgng0jfvgjm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well know what version of photoshop you are using would help us determine the best solution for you.

First I would smooth and feather the edges a lot better than it is.
Then create clipped hue/saturation adjustment layers for layers 1 and 2 and try to match the luminosity and color as close as you can to the background layer.

I would then Stamp Visible Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E.
This combines all the layers on a new layer without destroying the originals..

Create a new blank layer and place it above the new combined layer set it's property to color.
You're only working with 2 layers now.

Sample the darker girls skin with the eye dropper tool.
On the blank layer color over the nose and around the eyes with the brush tool, adjust opacity as needed.

That's a general guideline.
Without me actually doing it, I can't predict your results, but it should get you started.

You can upload the PSD if you put in in a Zip folder.
I'll try it and see what works best.

hi steve, thanks for your help offer!
there are lots of photoshop terms i dont quite understand or know how to work with like smoothing edges or creating clipped hue/saturation adjustment layers, you know any guided videos explaining those actions?

im actually just practicing with these photos, the real hybrid is a combination of 2 photos of fellow students which i need to do for my statistics project . as much as i would love to learn how to do it myself ill most likely wont get close to doing it as well as you would.
would you mind helping me with that? *crossing fingers*

Sure, I'll help you.
Post the full size images here, you can upload JPG's up to 1920x1280 pixels.
If the images are larger put them in a compressed Zip or Rar folder and post that.

We can cover the things you don't understand as we go along with this project.

Your taking the pictures yourself?

That's great, there's a lot you can do to make this a lot simpler.

Take several photos of each model.
Make sure the lighting and the angles are identical for both models across all the photos and try to get even lighting on the faces, no harsh lighting or shadows.

Take all the photos at the same distance and with the same aperture if possible.

Last edited:
yeah thats what i plan on doing. placing the camera still and stading against a white wall in the same constant distance from the lence. ill also try to set the light in a way that the skin colour of the two subjects looks a bit more similar

Hi Steve!
I took some pictures today. The quality isnt great (8 mega pixels) so if its not good enough I can borrow a much better reflex camera from a friend.
Here are the pics: pic_morph_survey - UpF.co.il in a rar file
I was thinking that maybe we can use one of the pics 1-8 as the 'background', but maybe its more difficult because the other guy jas a bierd. You tell me :)

8mp would be fine but by uploading them to that site they were all reduced to less than 200K, they're no good.
I looked at them all and the best one of the guy in the beard is #10.
His head is raised higher that the other guy looking more down his nose at the camera.
The other guy #3 looks good to me.

Why don't you put both of those images in a zip file and post it here, if there's a problem I'll PM you my email address.

Now what are you trying to do?
You want the guy without the beard to be the background, you want his face to show right?
What parts of the other guy want to show through?

I'm not sure who to choose as the background. I think i want the guy with the beard, but i also want that if you look at #3 and the morphed result you'll see a great deal of similarity
I think i want to take #3's nose and eyes (maybe lips too if it wont look weird) and place them on #10's while mixing the skin colour to be more like #3's

This is the actuall pic size. I just cut the pics and left only the heads so it reduced the szie from 1.5mb to 200kb

If that's the size then that what we work with.

OK, I'm helping remember. ;)
I've already done one but opposite of what you want.
Beard guy's eyes, nose and lips are on the other guys face, I'll show you later.

Open both images in PS on two different layers in the same document.
One of those layers is locked, just make a copy of that layer and use it.

The top layer is the guy with the beard, label them Layer1 and Layer 2.
Now you need to line up the images.

Create a mask on layer one and just mask out the eye sockets, nose and lips, nothing fancy.
On layer 2 use the transform tool and do what it takes to get everything lined up, it should look like this.

ss.jpg

The eyes look to small for this face to me.
Use the marque tool to select only across the eyes and use the transform tool to make them larger.

ss2.jpg

Let me know when you've done all this.
Steve

i tried working it but i cant fit the nose and eyes using one layer. it seems i need to create one layer for the nose and another for the eyes..
besides, it dosent look real :) maybe its better to use #3 as the background?

It can be done.
You can rotate the transform box too.
That little cross hair in the center of the transform box can be moved, that's the pivot point.

There are lots of ways to get to the same place in PS, if it's not working out then split them into layers, whatever works for you.

Edit:
You can also use the marque tool to select an eye or mouth and use transform separately on the selected area only.

Last edited:
Not doing so good :rolleyes:
The middle one on the second row you made looks quite good! is there a way to take off the little goatee and fix the chin?
if we can find a pair of beird man's eyes/eye brows to match there in a convincing way this combo can look quite real!

my problem is that i dont undertand how you blend the extracted parts with the background face.. i allways have some left over skin that dont mix with the background

* we have a tiny 7 hour difference between us, thats why i cant reply right away and in normal hours

Last edited:
I know, the 7 hour difference is make this more difficult
For what it's worth the bottom 2 are the most accurate.
They are the most exact swap of the lips eyes, nose, and mouth, you never said eyebrows.
I also spent the most time on those to correct skin color.

What are you having a problem with?
Are you still trying to line things up?

Edit:
The one you said you liked is actually a full face transplant, and not what you said you wanted to do.

Last edited:
I guess in my head it looked different.. but when ii look at the photos now on a glance i can see theres no way its a real person
my problem is with correcting the 'extra' skin color. I know i didnt say eye brows :) but once i saw you taking the bierd i noticed how much hair makes a difference.

.....but when ii look at the photos now on a glance i can see theres no way its a real person...
None of them?

As for the eyebrows they can be included, no problem, I was just trying to follow you're instructions.
There aren't any "click here" fixes to blending colors on something like this.
There are a few tools like Match Color and Replace Color under Edit|Adjustments but I don't think they are going to work.

There are a lot of little steps.
I started with a Hue|Saturation adjustment layer for layer 2 to get the colors as close as possible.
At some point you need to combine layers but don't throw away layers the existing layers.

What I do is "Stamp Visible".

With Layer 1, the adj layer, and Layer 2 visible.
Alt+Shift+Crtl+E Win, Cmd+Opt+Shift+E Mac

Now work only on this new layer blending things with Clone Stamp, Healing Tool etc.
Dodge and burn can be helpful at very low values.

Use the blur tool to soften edges.

You need to experiment but these are some of the tools I used.

Back