What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Faded and damaged photo needs restoration

reted

My Dad's birthday is coming up this week, and a few months ago we found this old photo of him in the attic playing his favorite arcade game, Robotron, from his teenage years. I'd just like to have enough of it looking good to get printed and framed for his birthday. I was hoping somebody would be able to clean it up and fix the coloring as much as possible. The right side has been water-damaged, so any restoration possible there would be a miracle I know. I can crop out whatever can't be salvaged, but I would like to keep as much of the Robotron cabinet as possible since that was his favorite game. Thanks in advance for any attempts.

Dad Robotron.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
I don't have time to work on this one right now, yet here is an image of the original arcade game that gives good clues of how the colors need to be shifted/changed to get closer to the original image.
John Wheeler

robotron 2084.jpg

JeffK

Guru
With @thebestcpu suggestion, went on a hunt for the video parlor game. Added part to the image so you could have the semblance of a complete machine. Just unsure if this is the correct one although I seemed to only find one version. Didn't know what the machine to the right was so just basically blacked it out.
Hit it with a recovery action and then Denoise and a bit of sharpening. Few bits of repair.
Centipede was my game back in the '70's. Me and close friend used to go once a week with a bag of quarters. Good times to remember...:giggle:
Image was too large to upload here - below is downsized version with a link to a larger version:

Downsized
Dad Robotron edited downsized.jpg

Larger version:

[ iLLuSioN ]

Power User
Could it be possible that the picture was only photographed and not scanned? Or at least already processed by software?

reted

Could it be possible that the picture was only photographed and not scanned? Or at least already processed by software?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I scanned the photo itself. This is as good as it gets, unfortunately.

reted

With @thebestcpu suggestion, went on a hunt for the video parlor game. Added part to the image so you could have the semblance of a complete machine. Just unsure if this is the correct one although I seemed to only find one version. Didn't know what the machine to the right was so just basically blacked it out.
Hit it with a recovery action and then Denoise and a bit of sharpening. Few bits of repair.
Centipede was my game back in the '70's. Me and close friend used to go once a week with a bag of quarters. Good times to remember...:giggle:
Image was too large to upload here - below is downsized version with a link to a larger version:

Downsized
View attachment 125405

Larger version:
Thanks. I couldn't tell what the other machine was either, so no worry there.

JeffK

Guru
[ iLLuSioN ] always pushes me to think a bit harder about my edits. One thing I noticed on my first edit was that it had a lot of noise especially in the facial area and the game screen. So fixed that.
Color is my weakness but did some adjustments to get it as close to accurate as possible. Still needs a bit more balancing I think.
Here's my 2nd attempt - downsized version:

Dad Robotron REV downsized.jpg

Here's original size:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been working on this edit. It's proving to be rather difficult!

Here is WIP screenshot. I need to take a break.
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.45.06 PM.png

@JeffK - where did you find the graphic that you placed on the side of the machine in your edit?

JeffK

Guru
@JeffK - where did you find the graphic that you placed on the side of the machine in your edit?

Hi Sam - I did a Google image search for "Robotron Arcade Game" and looked for the closest match to the position in the OP's image.
This is the image I used - note that I had do do some warping to get it to fit...

video game.jpg

I managed to relocate it on this site:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This will have to do until I find a suitable machine for the foreground (far right). Will update this post if and when I find a good photo.

Dad_Robotron_01.jpg

JeffK

Guru
This will have to do until I find a suitable machine for the foreground (far right). Will update this post if and when I find a good photo.

The Best '80s Arcade Games

reted

Thank you all so much! These all look great! I enjoyed seeing you work together and bounce ideas around to keep improving it. I am going to get it printed today. I think he will love it. Thanks again.