What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filter and Blent Modes Work

Tom Mann

Guru
I don't want to sound harsh, but unless I knew that there was some very specific reason to corrupt a photo in this particular way (eg, to be compatible with an existing graphic design), or that you were simply familiarizing yourself with all the different ways to drastically modify images, I would have to say that I don't find this result attractive, in fact, it's not even all that interesting.

These days, there are so many ways to change the look of an image, many requiring essentially only a single button push (eg, Instagram, OnOne Software's Perfect Effects, NIK Color Efx Pro, Tiffen DFX, Aviary, Picasa, etc. etc.) the artistic value of the effects these programs produce is nearly zero. Anyone, with absolutely minimal knowledge can produce variants like this.

In contrast, there are many fewer ways to generate a well-exposed, well-lit, well color-balanced, well-focused, etc. etc. portrait of a boy, so IMHO, the original of this image has much more "worth" / artistic merit / general appeal.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

ugur

I don't want to sound harsh, but unless I knew that there was some very specific reason to corrupt a photo in this particular way (eg, to be compatible with an existing graphic design), or that you were simply familiarizing yourself with all the different ways to drastically modify images, I would have to say that I don't find this result attractive, in fact, it's not even all that interesting.

These days, there are so many ways to change the look of an image, many requiring essentially only a single button push (eg, Instagram, OnOne Software's Perfect Effects, NIK Color Efx Pro, Tiffen DFX, Aviary, Picasa, etc. etc.) the artistic value of the effects these programs produce is nearly zero. Anyone, with absolutely minimal knowledge can produce variants like this.

In contrast, there are many fewer ways to generate a well-exposed, well-lit, well color-balanced, well-focused, etc. etc. portrait of a boy, so IMHO, the original of this image has much more "worth" / artistic merit / general appeal.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Thank you for your reply Tom. "Familiarizing with the filters and blend modes" is perfect fit for my work :) You are right about what can be done by one click nowadays and it will be much much more in near future. What seems interesting to me may not be interested by you becouse i am a newcomer and everything is interesting to me :) You are a pro or spend much more time with photoshop maybe. I am a hobbyist and newcomer or late comer as i am 36 :) Anyways thanks again for your time and reply :)

GT-N7100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Last edited: