What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First composite evar; help?

afr0taku

Hi, hi~

So last night I took a stab at my first composite evar. It's going pretty well, but I wanted to try something crazy before I send the client the final.

So I have this Japanese Tower with which I want to cut out the dark negative space between the bars (I added a blown out version of the photo so you can see clearly) and add the starry space background to show through the bars.

I've been selecting the negative space to delete but I can't figure out how to fill the cut out with a transparent background vs. a content aware fill or color fill.

Any advice? I did a google hunt, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance, lovelies! ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.57.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.57.42 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.57.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.57.35 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Close_Encounter_with_the_Tarantula_-_Flickr_-_NASA_Goddard_Photo_and_Video.jpg
    Close_Encounter_with_the_Tarantula_-_Flickr_-_NASA_Goddard_Photo_and_Video.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 1
Hey Kierra,

Try placing a blank/new layer between the two tower layers. All you need to do then is delete (or mask) the dark spaces.

It's transparent. Looks like I got it to work~
Now here comes the fun part (sans Wacom tablet :runaway:)!

Thanks again, Sam!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 1.10.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 1.10.25 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 3
Yeah, in looking at your screenshot, I don't think I helped at all! I see masks, Hue & Sat adjustment layers, smart objects......

I think we have a hustler here! :rofl:

Hahaha, no you definitely helped! Initially I was trying to use the quick selection tool and trying to delete the selection.

Sometimes the basics elude me (there are so many frggin tools in Photoshop) so your suggestion definitely helped! I was running in circles, lmao :thumbsup:

Yeah, I would not use the quick selection tools.

I don't have the girl to add, but I did not take my time with a brush (like your doing!) to make my selections. I just used the Polygonal Lasso Tool and then feathered my selection with refine edge.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 12.46.04 PM.png

Whoawhoawhoa! ok PAUSE. I'm definitely giving that a try!! I'm already over the brush, without a Wacom tablet, it's hell lol

I have a tablet and I often make selections using a layer mask and a brush.

For stuff like this I like the Pen Tool or the PLT. I still use the mask (I never delete....ever). I make a selection, with the mask highlighted, I hit command + delete to fill the selection with black....which is my foreground color.

I'm now zoomed in 3200% with a 1 pixel paintbrush lol. I know it's crazy but I like the control and with this first composite, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible... But I can't figure out how to get my space back to show through the transparency.

Honestly, even importing the file is going over my head. 'Place embedded..." seems to work to at least get it in the document. But where in the hierarchy of the layers should it go?

Back