What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First try at skin retouch

Vafann

Guru
This is the first time I have tried to retouch skin. I tried an inverted highpass technique tutorial, and then I tried some adjustments of my own. I was sloppy with the cutting out and the background, I was concentrating on the skin, I don´t know I well I did, is it too exaggerated? :)

invert-highpass-2-för-sammasl.jpg

apelsin-before.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Very nice job Vafann, nice soft blends and it all looks natural.
Theres a little bit of pixalation around the nose area, but hey first go well done.

Vafann

Guru
Very nice job Vafann, nice soft blends and it all looks natural.
Theres a little bit of pixalation around the nose area, but hey first go well done.

Thank you Paul! I saw that pixelation, but that came after I posted it here, it´s not like that on my computer. I don´t understand why this keeps happening, I must be doing something wrong with either resizing, or saving for the web or something. :)

fenix

Guru
Really good for a first attempt!

Burned Ice

Power User
I have some difficulties finding the right tutorial for this :(

alixman96

very natural and i like the soft color too what adjustmints did u use? I really want to learn the color adjustments where can i find a tutorial?

HillyBill

looks really nice! what i like to do is apply a really mild surface blur then mask and hit the face. but i try not to touch the nose

HillyBill

if you get bored check out my tornado videos i have. that is what i lived through this spring. I barely made it out alive then we worked rescue for and cleanup.

HillyBill

well i started making the videos to show my daughter how to do this stuff.. She is twelve and wants to work with anime. so i am showing her the basics first.

SeniorS

Guru
Nice, especially for the first time. Only i would like to see small, little, tiny grain on skin.
I have seen lately some works/tutorial with that "removing everything" from skin style and i don't find it natural. But that's just me.

Vafann

Guru
very natural and i like the soft color too what adjustmints did u use? I really want to learn the color adjustments where can i find a tutorial?
Thank you all, I found the tutorial in a magazine, but I can´t find it online, so I wrote down the steps for anyone who is interested.:)

After the last step, I then started using different color adjustment layers and things, and don´t really remember, I just tried things until I kind of liked it.

Inverted high pass technique

1: Duplicate image layer by pressing crtl/cmd+J

Select top layer, apply “Convert for smart filter” from the filter menu.

2: Set blending mode of top layer to Linear Light and the opacity to 50%.

Now add an Invert adjustment layer, and add it to your top layer as a clipping mask by holding Alt/Opt and clicking in-between the two layers in the Layers palette.

3: Next apply a high pass filter to your inverted layer, move the radius up until you´ve smoothed over the coarse details that you´d like to remove.

4: Now apply a Gaussion Blur filter to bring back fine details, not to far, or you will just get your original image back.

5: The clear areas of your image should now look smooth, but the edges are blurred and out of focus. To rectify this, add a Hide All mask to the inverted layer and then paint in the effect using a soft white brush, avoiding any edges or important details.

Oh, yeah, and this tutorial was by Ben Secret

Last edited: