What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fix an old damaged picture

thebestcpu

Guru
Thank you! Can you tell me how you did it so I can learn and apply it to other pictures if needed in the future?

Absolutely and I did this with Photoshop

I adjusted the luminosity issue first
- Used a channel mixer adjustment layer set to monochrome and turned down the red channel and compensated by increasing the green and blue channels. Just adjusted until the luminosity of the image seemed natural

Then I worked on the color issue

- I duplicated the original image layer and moved it above the channel mixer layer and set the blend mode to color
- The for the areas of uniform color, I sampled a good area with the eye dropper and the used the brush tool and brushed over the bad color areas (carpet, stuffed animal, furniture, lower portion of couch)

Then I created a new blank layer on top with blend again set Color
- Then I used the Stamp tool and sampled right on the flower pattern of the couch throw in a good area and then stamped the color over on each flower of the couch throw

Then I worked on the wall with the clone stamp tool starting from a good area and filling in the bad area

Finally, since using the color mixer made some areas a bit too bright in the whites, I groups all Layers except the original image and added a Layer mask to that group and painted on the mask to show the some of the original areas of the image that were OK to begin with (white clothing and window area)

Hope that helps

John Wheeler