What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Free Edit Discussion (Face Swap)

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Guys, let's put some real spirit in our works...it's not a speed contest.
The faces are lacking contrast/shadows/color match or looking cartoonish, or are way too big and what's with the haze...?
I think you all can do better...

Unfortunately I must agree. All of these faces look pasted on. I realize you don't have a lot to work with so it's understandable. As for me, I would not attempt this swap with the images provided...................sometimes it's better to just take a pass on the edit.

There's no miracles button, I checked my keyboard - if you feel it can't be done properly, inform the OP why...

miracles.jpg

I spent a good 20 mins doing this for OP, I could've not done anything but I tried and delivered something I was ok with.

I could've not done anything but I tried and delivered something....
Just a quick reminder, the free request forum is not a service. Just because someone makes a request, this does not obligate any member of this forum to deliver an edit. The choice is yours to make.

I'm going to give my opinion because i understand everybody here XD.

First of all i agree i think some of the image could be better with a little more effort, but certanly the image was really hard and people have different lvls because this a learning forum.

For me the best way to learn is practice pratice and a little more pratice but always trying to improve yourself. Retouhing and image is always tricky if you spend enought time doing it you can see a good job when the reality is really different...:rofl: It happens a me alot and this forum help me realize that the image could be better and try it again.

For that i always post it what i made, even when i think its not the best job but i cant get it done, someone cut have the solution or help me in someway. You could try to ask for help too..XD

Finally even the image you know its impossible, if you try it just as a challenge you're going to learn something, of course as i said you have to make the effort.

Sorry if is not the place to put the post or if doesn't make any sense :cheesygrin:.

Regards,
David

I agree with @Argos because if we start avoiding challenges thinking "maybe I will not get a good result", you will never know what you can achieve or learn in the process of attempting it. Sometimes, you come across help on the net, sometimes colleagues may help or sometimes the OP might point out what was left out. That is the way to improve oneself rather than not attempting a challenge, showing a defeatist attitude.

The quality may not be that great sometimes, but what can you do after putting so much of effort and applying your skill, you are still unable to make a challenge look 'natural'? I think in those circumstances, the OP can choose the best looking result amongst the posted options and live with it. Key point is those attempting should put in a good effort if they are attempting it.

Please correct if I am mistaken.

I have moved this discussion to it's own thread.

Just so you know, I also agree with Argos 100%. You have to make the effort! This is not about facing a challenge, then putting in the time and doing your best. It's about the Free Edit forum not being the platform for improving your skills. You can't improve if you are not receiving feedback from the rest of the forum.

It seems to be an ongoing issue that we have so many entry level to mid level skilled members who only post in the free edit forum. Since 90% of the requesting members have little to no knowledge or understanding of Ps, they are often happy with poor results and sing out praises for the work they receive. Then the other forum members hit the like buttons in support of effort, and never offer any advice on how to improve. This in turn sends a false message to the member thinking that they have done a great job when they haven't. We have several members here who only attempt free edits that have not improved since their arrival to the forum.

If your having problems with an edit then why not post in the General Photoshop forum and ask questions so you can get some advice and help rather than throwing up a stinker and letting the OP decide which is best? This is the only way to learn. We need to be helping each other and not just hitting the like buttons on poor work.

The quality may not be that great sometimes, but what can you do after putting so much of effort and applying your skill, you are still unable to make a challenge look 'natural'?
You post in the General Photoshop Forum and ask for help.

You could try to ask for help too..XD
Exactly!

How do we as a community, begin to help those that are not willing to ask for help?

You're right, maybe free edit forum shouldn't be the platform to improve but i have to admit its a good one i dont know if its for the joy of helping others, the competition it could create or the comparison you can make with other members work XD. This is just what i think from personal experience and what i saw on the forum, not saying it should be that way.

The likes its a more difficult choice XD, i try to like the jobs i think are worth it, but i have to admit, sometimes i like some works that i follow the member and i see and improvement even when the job its not perfect XD.

First let’s establish some terminology so we’re all understanding the conversation. There are three types of members here at PSG we need to identify.

There are those core members who are here on PSG to contribute to the forum in every way that they can. These members are here to contribute and to learn. We will call these A Members.

There are some members who are only here on PSG for the freelance work and sometimes they do free edits. We will call these B Members.

Lastly, there are members who only join PSG to request free edits and do not contribute to the forum in any other way. We will call these C Members.

The Free Photoshop Request forum was originally conceived and created for our A members to emulate realistic job requests that they may encounter when working in the industry. It was never intended to be a "HELP" forum or a service. What is meant by a "HELP" forum? A help forum is where our A members would go to ask for and receive help like the General Photoshop Board/Forum. The free edit forum was for requests only. It was meant to emulate a professional interface/interaction between a client and a designer. We did not anticipate the problem we now face in that it serves as the forums primary source of member contribution.

I have not used the General forum much, but I will branch into it when I have questions. I have started reading other people's questions now and learning from their experiences and feedback they elicit.

As for likes, I am a bit liberal and give it when I recognise the effort that would have gone in making that output. At least in my interpretation, a 'Like' is not to be equated with recognition of great quality work; good effort is enough so all skill levels get equal recognition - otherwise only the experts would get the likes and the learners do not get encouraged.

There seems to be a lack of A members on our forum these days. Many here are closer to B members and don't seem interested in contributing to the forum. All they want to do is Free Edits.

The question is, do we need to do away with the Free edit forum and go back to the way the forum ran for years without it? All requests would be posted in the GPB and any responses would be subject to critique.

As for likes, I am a bit liberal and give it when I recognise the effort that would have gone in making that output. At least in my interpretation, a 'Like' is not to be equated with recognition of great quality work; good effort is enough so all skill levels get equal recognition - otherwise only the experts would get the likes and the learners do not get encouraged.
I'm not trying to discourage liking posts. But you should encourage them with words and not "likes". If you like someones work that's what they believe..........you like their work! Why would anyone need to improve if everyone likes their work?

PS-- I'm not one to talk! I'm just as guilty myself of using likes to encourage.

I understand that polarwoc but being honest in my opinion the likes are most usefull for learning purposes when it's given only when the work deserved it.
There were times when i post something i was happy and received few likes and ask my self why and try to improved and it really did, is a good way to see what others think and see and training you view of the works if is used that way.

We did not anticipate the problem we now face in that it serves as the forums primary source of member contribution.
I speak about my experience just so you guys as administrators know, although you would have known about it. I came across this forum while doing a search on "Photoshop Requests". When I saw this "Free Requests" page, that attracted my attention for the time. I saw the content being updated, requests being served and new requests being raised. I started coming back everyday to see what is new. One day, I decided to register myself and attempt these requests. To me, it felt like "Here is a resource where I can serve requests in real time and gain experience". Since then, I stayed back. There are other forums and websites (eg Reddit) that let you do free/paid edits but I love this site best for various reasons.

Maybe the "Free requests" section has outgrown its original purpose and is serving a grander cause in attracting learners and gradually converting them into "A members"? In my opinion, a person that stops by the site, gradually likes it, contributes towards free edits would eventually branch into the other sections of the site and learn from those sections as well. This process will take time.

I would request that it should not be seen as a 'problem', but as a USP of the website - something that attracts, retains and graduates people from B members to A members?

The question is, do we need to do away with the Free edit forum and go back to the way the forum ran for years without it? All requests would be posted in the GPB and any responses would be subject to critique.
I will be very honest here. I work on Photoshop as a serious hobby which refreshes me and not necessarily as a tool that would prepare me for a future job. There are many websites on the net that teach PS. When I am stuck at something, I just search for the issue at hand, go to the website, read the page, learn how to solve the issue at hand and I move on. I may not even visit the site again unless Google indexes me to that site on another search. There are Youtube channels like Phlearn, Piximperfect, PTC, Blue Lightning TV, etc which I primarily use as a one way learning media where I do not even bother with registrations or subscriptions or comments.

If Free Edits section is removed on this forum, since there is a demand in this world (due to so many cameras around in every pocket, since so many people get online and need beautiful looking profile pictures) for free edits, someone else on the wide web will create a 'market' for this section and most people (B and C members) who are attracted to that kind of interaction (requesting and serving) will go there. For example, someone will then create a website "www dot FreePSRequestsServedHere dot com" and get a lot of B and C members that were active here. The C members need B members and vice versa. I submit that this market be tapped here itself and use it to grow the website - in terms of site hits, marketing revenue, exposure creation for learners, serving free photo requests for guests and also as a learning resource.

I have seen some of the older posts on the forum and realise how well it ran as a resource that taught learners that got stuck while working on PS. I like the friendly atmosphere here where anyone you ask about how they did some work would take the time to explain, and in the process contribute towards improving the learning curves. If the Admins do not see much activity happening in the General PS Sections, it is probably because unlike years before, help on every topic is available on the net easily and there is not much need to start a request thread and wait for response when someone on Youtube explains it in 3 minutes?

Regardless of what you guys decide about Free Requests Section, I like this site for its atmosphere and I feel gratitude for the amount of learning this site enabled me.

Just to throw in a few thoughts to this discussion...
I have always been someone who is mindful of their limitations. However, I never let this keep me from trying new things. I really enjoy helping others. That is a big reason for me being here, and it's why I've gotten so serious about Photoshop over the years. Hopefully, we've all been doing this long enough to know that a critical eye is what drives our work, and allows us to help and guide others. (I'm in complete agreement with Polarwoc.) I don't think anyone here is doings edits just to crank something out. The quality of the work I've seen has all been quite excellent, and has has all been done in a sincere effort to help the people asking our assistance. Some of us may need some guidance on certain projects, and some may just need the benefit of input from their peers. Hopefully, that is what this forum is about... Us being peers. Supporting one another, and thereby, helping everyone here become better able to help our clients.

I submit that this market be tapped here itself and use it to grow the website - in terms of site hits, marketing revenue, exposure creation for learners, serving free photo requests for guests and also as a learning resource.
@polarwoc Just so you know I agree with your assessment of the free edit section and this was never a point of contention. We understand this concept and is always taken into consideration. Removing the free edit forum would not do away with free edits, it just places them back to where they began. Right now I'm more interested in how we can get help to those members who need it and won't ask for it.

Maybe the "Free requests" section has outgrown its original purpose and is serving a grander cause in attracting learners and gradually converting them into "A members"?
I would request that it should not be seen as a 'problem', but as a USP of the website - something that attracts, retains and graduates people from B members to A members
This is the problem, this is not what's been happening. It's a nice sentiment and observation, but how is this being accomplished?

Some of us may need some guidance on certain projects, and some may just need the benefit of input from their peers. Hopefully, that is what this forum is about... Us being peers. Supporting one another, and thereby, helping everyone here become better able to help our clients.
This is exactly what I have been saying. We need to be more active in speaking up and pointing out problem areas in some of the substandard works that are being submitted to the Free Edit forum as well as other forums.

After reading @JazzyScotsman's post, I must mention that a lot of times when I did an edit, each one of you guys at different points in time have given me on a rap on the the knuckles, saying what can be done to improve my work and that has been immensely helpful in my learning process. At the same time, I have always responded with an explanation when someone asked me a question.

Back