What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frost glass effect

7of9

Hi Forum!,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to create a frost effect like when you take a beer mug out of the freezer and it's all frosty? :p .

I have a picture and I want to create a window pane on top of it with a frosty smooth look. Attached is an example.

thanks

abbe

shoould be quite easy i think. Make a selection of the area that you want your frost over and fill it with a light grey color (almost white) and then add some nois to it and maby blurr the nois out a tad and then just lover the opacity a bit of the layer. And maby draw in some higlight on it to but that depends on if its an bent surface or not you are after.

Sry dont have time to try it just now but i think that it should work =)
will try it when i get homw from work if i remember =)

hmmm watched the pic u posted and it looks like they blured the BG under the frost layer to =) so make a selection of your frost layer and then change to your BG layer and gaussian blur it some untill you gte what you want.

ooo damm now im later =) cya

Rock on

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Live long and prosp.... oops, wrong forum :rofl: ......

Anyways, welcome to both of you, 7of9 and abbe.

It looks like 5 layers (image, 2 color layers, 1 grid line layer, 1 text ). You can try setting the 2 colour layer properties to screen, as well. Lower the opacity of the smaller horizontal bar layer and grid line layer.

Couldn't experiment on it myself coz no PS on this laptop. Hope you get what I laid out :D .

vee

wbiss

Guru
Welcome 7of9!!! Good to have you onboard! :)

No doubt, you're off to experiment with the suggestions given to you by abbe and dv8fx... :perfect:

Yep, the key here, as I see it, is in the 'blending modes' and the 'opacity' settings. Play!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Best of Luck to you....and let us know how you make out! :)

theKeeper

Guru
Me too please! Can i play?! :D
mmm... me thinks this is only a matter of reducing the layer Opacity a bit.

And as abbe mentioned, blur the image behind the glass too. Nice catch abbe. :perfect:

I might add that a little Noise will help too.
Try this:

Create the square that'll be your frosted glass. Then apply the NOISE filter -- use uniform not Gaussian noise. Monochrome also. Just a small amount, enough to make it visible. 3-5 pixels should suffice.
Apply the FILTER>STYLIZE>EMBOSS to the layer. Height=1 and Amount=500%. Hard clean dots is what we want.
Set the layer to Screen, and lower the Opacity to around 50-70%. Your choice there.
:B

TIPS: To 'tighten up' the effect, you can apply a little Unsharp Mask to the embossed effect. I used Amount=100% Radius=0.5.

A subtle drop shadow is a nice addition too.

And also... i like to add a thin 1-2 pixel border around this effect. Make the Stroke/border white and set the blend mode to either Softlight or Exclusion (my fav). :perfect:

wbiss

Guru
B7 Tres cool Mark!

Just "opacity" (+ a little noise/g-blur) eh? ;) Cool... no time to play but you've made your point well!

sfm

Guru
cool mark...... think I will have a play with that one too he he he
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
Ya and don't forget to emboss the noise-filled square too. That's what creates the texture highlights of the glass.

Lee

Guru
Another one of Marks mimi tuts that I had to send to the printer. I'm going to have a little book here pretty soon. Thanks Mark for the explanation. ;)

7of9

Coool Keeper!!!!

i wanna thank all of you folks who contributed and helped out. i forgot about the emboss Keep, that is soooo kewlllllll. i'm going to apply it to my layer and when i'm finish i'll send all of you the final prod.

\\ //
"Live Long And Prosper"

:perfect:

7of9

what font is that?

ooooooooooooh please tell me Keep what font that is your using on the picture?

thanks
:)

ljiljana

Guru
Lee said:
Another one of Marks mimi tuts that I had to send to the printer. I'm going to have a little book here pretty soon. Thanks Mark for the explanation. ;)

Hi Lee, that is great what are you doing. Just a thought ; how about to make all those mini tuts in a zip file that a new members can download and learn from it , and may be to add them to the tutorial section : ,, mini tuts from Mark".
What do you think about that?

Lee

Guru
Hey lj, there is nothing for me to put in a zip file or I'd be happy to do it. I just send a post I like to my printer, learn to do whatever it was I liked, and then throw the page away. Sorry.

This is something you might want to consider as it's soooo much easier to learn if it's in writing in front on you instead of reading it off the monitor. :perfect:

Lee

Guru
;) You go girl. :perfect:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist using some of the "hot" street slang there. I'll get better, I promise. I'm in counseling as we speak.