What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerber Baby food

Donnyten

Hello! first post here. I've been trying to wrap my head around photoshop CS5 but am having a bit of trouble.

I've got many ideas stored in my brain but am finding it hard to get down. One of the ideas I have in mind is to have my face ( old baby picture face) on the front of a gerber food baby jar as shown here.

( cant post links)

I am thinking I'll need to use the clone tool to *erase* everything on the bottle by selecting the white space on the front sticker right? or i can simply use the erase i assume. Then Since the original Gerber decision is a charcoal drawing, I'll have to simulate that effect somehow. :yourock:

Any advice?

Thanks! great community here.

Hi Donnyten

Welcome to the PSG forum

Well you can create the whole logo from the beginning

THE CIRCLE
- create anew document any size for example 400*400
- cretae a new layer
- draw a circle whit the elliptical marquee tool "M" and fill it whit "172e58" RGB_Color palette
- go to SELECT>MODIFY>CONTRACT set it to 4 Pts and click OK
- now create another new layer on top and again fill it whit the same color used before.
- select the layer underneath and hit the "delete key "to get rid of the color filling"
- Now you got 2 layers 1 whit a color ring and another on top whit a small circle filled whit color right.

THE GREY PICTURE
- Open you picture or any picture to replace the baby picture.
- This step will involve selecting and extracting object from picture you can do this via pen tool or quick selection.
-- More about extracting object from imagen here 5 Great Background Masking Techniques in Photoshop

now that your image extracted we need to get rid of the color information to make it grey or charcoal.

- got to IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>DESATURATE that will turn your image in grey and white
- now go to IMAGE ADJUSTMENTS>LEVES so we can increase the shadows, darken values on the picture, play whit sliders: shadows, highlights and midtones until you get a remarked dark areas visible.
- We are almost done here, now place the layer whit your extracted picture in between the 2 layers created before.

- Last step, to make the picture the same color shade than the background circle go to LAYERS>LAYER STYLE>COLOR OVERLAY, click on the color value cell and change it to the color value applied to the background circles "172e58" and set the blend mode to "COLOR", lower the opacity if necessary, finally erase or mask the parts of the picture going out of the circle ring bounds and you are done.

WOW there's a lot of steps involved right...

Not really once you get to know some of the tools this gets pretty easy and you will be using it intuitively.

Have Fun.

Hoogle

Guru
see I spent so long doing this making pic and tutorial lol that someone beat me to it sorry to repeat what $1r just typed up

iDad

Guru
then you will not mind removing such a big image?

Hoogle

Guru
nope for some reason it would not let me delete the whole post feel free to do what you want like I said was not aware at the time i was repeating someone else

Donnyten

hi. I followed these instructions..

THE CIRCLE
- create anew document any size for example 400*400
- cretae a new layer
- draw a circle whit the elliptical marquee tool "M" and fill it whit "172e58" RGB_Color palette
- go to SELECT>MODIFY>CONTRACT set it to 4 Pts and click OK
- now create another new layer on top and again fill it whit the same color used before.
- select the layer underneath and hit the "delete key "to get rid of the color filling"

- Now you got 2 layers 1 whit a color ring and another on top whit a small circle filled whit color right. <<<<<< i don't. i created a new layer, right clicked on the white empty space and chose "fill" did it again which seemed to have duplicated the circle/color filling. Then selected the "Layer 1" which is beneath layer 2, hit delete key, and erased it, now layer 2 has blue circle and layer 1 has nothing.

Hi Donnyten

will try to help you understand the step sorry for any inconvenience caused, some times get a lil confusing specially if you are in a learning process,

in the the layer on top you got a smaller size_ circle selection now fill it whit the same color
"172e58" "THEN" go back to the layer underneath and erase the selection.

Now you got 2 layers the 1 on top whit a blue circle and the second layer underneath whit a ring whit the same color
"172e58"

Paul

Former Member
Sylfaen is close, not perfect but close.

Hoogle

Guru
its ok I use adobe garimond bold and customised it a bit looked fine to me

E

elmo033057

1. select the elliptical marquee tool and then click the size of selection that you want. Hold down the left mouse button and press space bar to correctly size the elliptical marquee tool and move it at the same time. Don't let up off of the mouse button until you have properly placed and sized the circle.
2. while the area is still selected, use the eye dropper tool to select the dark blue color behind the baby.
3. With the are still selected fill in the circle that covers the baby with solid blue.
gerber1.jpg
4. Next open another work area in Photoshop and get the picture of your face and make sure that every thing but your face is a transparency. Make sure that your image is big enough so that when you apply the Graphic Pen filter it will look like a sketch. If your image is too small it won't look like anything. Also, make sure that your foreground color is the color of the Gerber letters (use the eye dropper tool again to get this color. make sure the background color is white.

5. With face still open, go to Image ----> Adjustments -----> Black & White

6. Go to -----> Filter ----> Sketch ------> Graphic Pen ( make adjustments on darkness and such with sliders)

gerber2.jpg

7. Go to ---> Select ----> All and Copy and paste this image onto your label image.

8. If you have a background from your copy and face with your face use the quick selection tool (W) ad select the background around your face. gut out or erase all background stuff on this layer around your face

9. Next, drag your face layer over your label layer if it is not there already and move your opacity slider on that layer so that you can still see your face. Now erase everything on your face layer that is not in the circle (label).

gerber3.jpg

10. erase everything outside the circle on the face layer.

gerberlabel.jpg

10 stick it on any jar image you can find.

God Bless!

Attachments

• gerberlabel.psd
    243.1 KB · Views: 11
E

elmo033057

Outstanding Hoogleman! Yours is Better than mine!

God Bless!

ELMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoogle

Guru
View attachment 4750
as you are struggling here you go simple solution to what you want
take pic mask it so that just your face is visible so use what selection method you prefer delete rest of image
convert canvas to transparent so all you can see is a check boardand your face image
desaturate image for example image > adjustments > vibrance lower saturation bar
then Filter > sketch> charcoal adjust sliders until your happy
adjust contrast brightness exposure so you can see clear detail
now select the layer right click > blending options
select colour over lay choose a blue but lower the opacity until you just have blue tint on face
create new layer
now select the elliptical tool hold down shift and draw a circle around your face and adjust posistion o your liking
use the paint bucket fill tool and fill circle in navy blue
drag that layer to under the face ok logo done save as a png if it makes it easier to do in stages
open up a pic of a jar of your liking
import your personal logo lower transparancie and posistion over original logo put opacity back to 100 %
press ctr and T to bring up transform controls > right click and select warp and warp it as best as you can to fit the jars curves very fiddly
ok logo replaces

logo name change this example I was lazy and just painted over the text
text tool font = adobe garimond pro bold type whatever you want it to be in white font
text layer blending mode add a slight drop shadow
posistion as desired

E

elmo033057

Hoogle,

Man you are right! that is much easier! Thanks so much.

God Bless!

ELMO

Hoogle

Guru
I am a cheat and have spent many hours trying to simplify things for myself problem with photoshop there is a 100 ways to achieve the same thing I just find the easies way