What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghost mannequin with similiar colours (do it smart :))

marti.artin

Hello, i see lot of tutorials about background remove. But what if coulours are really similair ? Do You guys edit contrast/levels for better magic wand/color range selection or do you use lasso tool?
For example this picture. There must be some "smart" way right ? Thank You for disscusion :)

before-after.jpg

Do you guys edit contrast/levels for better magic wand/color range selection or do you use lasso tool?

The answer is yes to both. There are many, many ways to create accurate selections and the method you choose depends on the particular image at hand. In this case, the goal is to temporarily create greater contrast between the dress and the background so that the various automated Photoshop tools—such as quick selection or magic wand—have a better chance of working successfully.

Personally, I like to have better control over my selections. Where possible, I opt to make my own precise selections using the Pen tool (which takes more time than the automated methods). In the case of this dress, we have clearly defined outlines, so it's a fairly easy pen tool exercise. There are other situations, like hair or leaves, where the pen tool won't work.

If you want to use something like the magic wand for this image, here is one fairly easy way to temporarily boost the contrast:
  • Add a Black & White adjustment layer above your image.
  • Move the red and yellow sliders of the B&W adjustment all the way to the left to darken those channels.
  • Copy the entire combined image to a new layer using Select>All, Edit>Copy Merged, Edit>Paste.
  • Change the blend mode of this new layer to Linear Burn. You now get something like this image.
  • From here, the magic wand should be able to cleanly distinguish the background. Make sure the Contiguous box is checked on the magic wand so that it doesn't accidentally select any of the sequined highlights inside the dress.

1660338647662.png

Most important what @Rich54 said above:
"There are many, many ways to create accurate selections and the method you choose depends on the particular image at hand."

I've used curves and levels to create contrast between background and subject in difficult selections. In this case I tried Photoshop CC's Select Subject option. Then went into Select and Mask to clean up the selections (some small areas between the arms and the dress). Then saved as a selection and created a mask:

1660341646706.png

I usually try this method first. Again, you use what works. The more complex the issue, the different tools you might use to get the work done.

Do You guys edit contrast/levels for better magic wand/color range selection or do you use lasso tool?
I most certainly do not have anything against using the Magic Wand Tool or color range................however, I have never recommended them for making this type of selection.

For example this picture. There must be some "smart" way right ?
Yes!

It's a little extra work, but Alpha Channel Masking is what I personally prefer when accuracy is needed. If accuracy is not a priority, then the other tools work great!
(You can easily do a YT search for channel masking. But I do have some bookmarked vids that I have saved over the years that describe the best channel masking techniques if you want them.)

Black and white channel...
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 7.55.03 PM.png

Accurate selection with BG removal.
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 7.54.42 PM.png

As I stated...............this technique is not for everyone, but it' my personal "go to" method if accuracy is required!

Yet another way is to extract the saturation channel after using the RGB> HSL filter and amplify the results with a Curves Adjustment Layer. Magic wand and then maybe a bit of selection smoothing with the Select > Select and Mask Tool
All depends on the image which way will work the easiest.
John Wheeler

before-after-background-extraction.jpg

Back