What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glowing Coal Effect

Simetra

Hi, I want to create an object that looks like it is made out of a glowing coal, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any suggestions?

As in making a lump of coal??? How about get your basic shape in a dark grey create a new layer above it and create a clipping mask and use a lighning brush or crak brush and put random strokes on top of the coal in a fiery red/ orange colour. Then go to layer blending options apply a bevel and emboss with depth set all the way to 100% method chisel hard (or whichever you like the best then adjust other sliders to what suits it best. next go to inner glow and outer glow settings and set the colour for a warm\hot glow. Then go back to your coal shape layer and add the glow settings as well and maybe to finish it off paint some light grey vertical lines above the oblect on a new layer and distort it into s shape style add a gaussian blur to it to replicate a kind of heat wave lower the opacity. and then use a steam or smoke brush very faintly to replicat smoke or steam. Just at the top of my head.

is this kind of what you want? It's multiple steps but very easy. It could be made to glow more but I wanted to get the idea out first, and I'm sorry the glowing parts between the coals weren't carefully done but like I said... wait to find out if meets your criteria.

Attachments

• GlowingCoals.jpg
    GlowingCoals.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back